follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 05-25-2014, 01:10 AM   #1289
becauseracecar1

Drives:
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RehabJeff86 View Post
Sorry a lil off topic, i use RaceRender for track video, wonder wut r u using cuz i really like the turn number and cornering speed on ur track vid!

I used Harry's lap timer. I had to clear about 50% of my pictures on my iPhone 5s 64gig to have enough space for the videos. The data overlay kept freezing up when my memory was 80-90% used up, but besides that it worked great!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 Ultramarine Scion FR-S
facebook.com/86motorsports
becauseracecar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to becauseracecar1 For This Useful Post:
RehabJeff86 (05-25-2014)
Old 05-25-2014, 11:45 AM   #1290
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,577 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Ok, here we go.

I'm starting to get into track/road racing. I have limited experience in the subject and all the exposure I got to the subject was right after getting my license. I have a small bit of karting experience and have done a few driving schools/classes and other events such as BMW/Michelin ride and drive.

Since getting my license, my primary focus has been drifting. I have more events and seat time and driven more vehicles than I can count. Events ranging from basic skid pads at speeds of 30mph to full blown road courses where entries get up to 80mph+ across various different states. I've gotten the privilege to learn from and befriend people, who are now Formula D drivers, and still talk to a few of them on a frequent basis.

However, I have chosen to take a break from it and learn other forms of driving to improve overall. I've tried Autox and didn't care for it much. Also tried rally but with the costs being very high, and not having anything available within a reasonable distance, I decided not to pursue it.

I'll be moving back to California and plan to do events at the tracks there. I will be using my FRS as well as attending some of the SoCal GTR events with my Dad at WSIR to learn more. My car isn't exactly setup for the task of road racing though. I've been using 215/45 Federal tires on 17x9 RPF1s for drifting purposes with this car with an alignment of: -3/-1.5 camber, 0 toe f/r. While this may have worked well for drifting purposes, I know this isn't optimum performance wise at all and that setup compromised the capabilities of the car.

So. Changes are underway. I have 18x9.5 TE37SLs on the way and will be using a 255/35 square setup and the car is getting raised up a little bit. The car uses Stance Coilovers and LCAs, and yes I know, they are not the best product in the world. I have a great relationship with the people there though and since I've had them, they've done their job and have never had a single issue with any of their products. If I upgrade later on, it will be custom Stance 2-Ways or HKS Hipermax(had them on my old s14 and loved them).

Plan on doing some other small changes like brake pads, and fluid, steering rack bushings, oil cooler, and maybe one or two very small other things. That's it though. I like the way the car is now. Only big things I noticed I didn't like was the braking feel/power, and the slop in the rear subframe. Easy fixes though.

Anyways, I figured I'd give this thread a go and I'm glad I did as there is a lot of useful information to take away. I figured I can get some additional info on things once I start driving at the vents and learn what I can over the next few years with this car.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 12:39 PM   #1291
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
Ok, here we go.

I'm starting to get into track/road racing. I have limited experience in the subject and all the exposure I got to the subject was right after getting my license. I have a small bit of karting experience and have done a few driving schools/classes and other events such as BMW/Michelin ride and drive.

Since getting my license, my primary focus has been drifting. I have more events and seat time and driven more vehicles than I can count. Events ranging from basic skid pads at speeds of 30mph to full blown road courses where entries get up to 80mph+ across various different states. I've gotten the privilege to learn from and befriend people, who are now Formula D drivers, and still talk to a few of them on a frequent basis.

However, I have chosen to take a break from it and learn other forms of driving to improve overall. I've tried Autox and didn't care for it much. Also tried rally but with the costs being very high, and not having anything available within a reasonable distance, I decided not to pursue it.

I'll be moving back to California and plan to do events at the tracks there. I will be using my FRS as well as attending some of the SoCal GTR events with my Dad at WSIR to learn more. My car isn't exactly setup for the task of road racing though. I've been using 215/45 Federal tires on 17x9 RPF1s for drifting purposes with this car with an alignment of: -3/-1.5 camber, 0 toe f/r. While this may have worked well for drifting purposes, I know this isn't optimum performance wise at all and that setup compromised the capabilities of the car.

So. Changes are underway. I have 18x9.5 TE37SLs on the way and will be using a 255/35 square setup and the car is getting raised up a little bit. The car uses Stance Coilovers and LCAs, and yes I know, they are not the best product in the world. I have a great relationship with the people there though and since I've had them, they've done their job and have never had a single issue with any of their products. If I upgrade later on, it will be custom Stance 2-Ways or HKS Hipermax(had them on my old s14 and loved them).

Plan on doing some other small changes like brake pads, and fluid, steering rack bushings, oil cooler, and maybe one or two very small other things. That's it though. I like the way the car is now. Only big things I noticed I didn't like was the braking feel/power, and the slop in the rear subframe. Easy fixes though.

Anyways, I figured I'd give this thread a go and I'm glad I did as there is a lot of useful information to take away. I figured I can get some additional info on things once I start driving at the vents and learn what I can over the next few years with this car.
i dont have much experience (none with an frs) and im sure more experienced people will have input but right off the bat i would say you might want to hold off on getting that much tire and mechanical grip if your goal is to gain valuable experience. your rpf1s are probably a better wheel for the track than those volks. im constantly tempted to run 15x9s on my track car but then i get out there on my 7s and am reminded just how much time i leave out there. knowing im not using all of the 205s grip keeps me from upgrading as humbling as that experience is.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 12:42 PM   #1292
dradernh

Drives: Used to Drive:Grand-Am GS #54 E36M3
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
If you're tracking with race pads, replace the rotors when the microfractures get big enough to make you notice.

From the CSG FB page:

I use my fingernails to quickly determine if the fractures are wide enough that the rotor needs to be thrown away. If a fingernail catches on a fracture, the rotor is done; if it slides over the fracture, the rotor is still good. On the AP Racing Competition Kit on my car, it takes awhile before the fractures open up to the point shown in the rotor on the right.
Quote:
I'm starting to get into track/road racing.

I have 18x9.5 TE37SLs on the way and will be using a 255/35 square setup...
That is a lot of tire for a ~170 RWHP car - you may find it useful to get a probe pyrometer and learn to use it. That will help you find out if you're heating your tires up to their optimum operating range. You can also use the temperatures you record to fine-tune your camber and toe settings.
dradernh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dradernh For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (05-25-2014)
Old 05-25-2014, 01:54 PM   #1293
TylerLieberman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
i dont have much experience (none with an frs) and im sure more experienced people will have input but right off the bat i would say you might want to hold off on getting that much tire and mechanical grip if your goal is to gain valuable experience. your rpf1s are probably a better wheel for the track than those volks. im constantly tempted to run 15x9s on my track car but then i get out there on my 7s and am reminded just how much time i leave out there. knowing im not using all of the 205s grip keeps me from upgrading as humbling as that experience is.
Understandable. My RPF1s are already gone though. I'll be finishing up with school when I get to California, so a large amount of seat time isn't high on my priorities-as school is much more important that cars.

Ill have to see how it feels once the setup is on. I suppose that's the only way to tell, is from experience. I'm not one to just go out and drive past my limits on the first laps.

I also still have the stock wheels that I can use with some grippy 215s or 225s for track days. I just can't right now because I'm stationed in Oklahoma and those wheels make better winter wheels than fresh Volks lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post

That is a lot of tire for a ~170 RWHP car - you may find it useful to get a probe pyrometer and learn to use it. That will help you find out if you're heating your tires up to their optimum operating range. You can also use the temperatures you record to fine-tune your camber and toe settings.
Interesting. I'll definitely have to look into that. I noticed that at one point in the thread, it had been mentioned that on tighter courses, where you're not having to worry so much about the rolling resistance from tire size, a wider tire can be helpful. Willow Springs and Laguna Seca (not exactly a tight course from what I remember) are the two locations I plan to drive primarily. I love both of those courses and am dying to drive them again.

Definitely appreciate the input though
Old 05-25-2014, 04:47 PM   #1294
TylerLieberman

Furthermore, what would be a good tire to run?

The car is daily driven and will only see a couple events out of the year so if I choose to use the same wheel/tire setup all the time, I understand compromises will be made. The question is what would be a sufficient track tire but also have a decent life span to where I'm not going through a set every few months..

Everybody I've talked to speak highly of the RS3 and RE11 tires. I've heard mixed reviews on the RT615K, and DZII. AD08s are a bit too pricey for me haha.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:13 PM   #1295
fooddude
Banned

Drives: 04 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Reg Cab
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Since skinnier tires are generally faster on the track (not autox) with a low hp NA car, is anyone running aftermarket wheels in 7" or 8" (excluding oem factory wheels though, and also excluding the 8" rpf1..since we all already know about those). If yes, what are you running?

Thinking of getting Rota RKRs in an 8" width with 215 or 225 tires. 8" = lighter, skinnier, no need to worry if roughed up during track/hpde sessions since they're cheap, they look nice and classic, etc.

Examples of what the lip-size and face-depth will look like in 8"et5 and 8.5"et10 (although, these are 15")

fooddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 07:04 PM   #1296
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Furthermore, what would be a good tire to run?

The car is daily driven and will only see a couple events out of the year so if I choose to use the same wheel/tire setup all the time, I understand compromises will be made. The question is what would be a sufficient track tire but also have a decent life span to where I'm not going through a set every few months..

Everybody I've talked to speak highly of the RS3 and RE11 tires. I've heard mixed reviews on the RT615K, and DZII. AD08s are a bit too pricey for me haha.
im sure the stock rims will be fine for a while. if i ever end up using my brz for the track im going to be on the stock rims for at least a set of rs3. i have the re11s on my miata and i really like them. they are kind of expensive but they do really well on the street. very little road noise and not bad in the cold but i feel they are just a tick slower than some of the other tires. on bigger cars like the frs, it looks like the rs3 is still the tire to run in socal weather. on smaller cars the rivals are looking really nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooddude View Post
Since skinnier tires are generally faster on the track (not autox) with a low hp NA car, is anyone running aftermarket wheels in 7" or 8" (excluding oem factory wheels though, and also excluding the 8" rpf1..since we all already know about those). If yes, what are you running?

Thinking of getting Rota RKRs in an 8" width with 215 or 225 tires. 8" = lighter, skinnier, no need to worry if roughed up during track/hpde sessions since they're cheap, they look nice and classic, etc.

Examples of what the lip-size and face-depth will look like in 8"et5 and 8.5"et10 (although, these are 15")

i dont know if i agree with that. skinny wheels are never faster. skinny tires can be on some of the bigger tracks but here in socal a 9" rim is faster than an 8" rim (on a miata) on all but maybe one track. i imagine the extra 70hp and several hundred pounds would be able to heat up a wider tire. the best way to go about it is finding the tire size you want and then getting the widest appropriate wheel size to match.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:47 PM   #1297
fooddude
Banned

Drives: 04 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Reg Cab
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Ah..good points on wider tires won't heat/grease as quick ..and heavier cars heat/grease up tires quicker.
fooddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:33 PM   #1298
THEmailman

Drives: Raven 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooddude View Post

I am running 17x8 Kosei K4R's with 225 wide tires. They are only $200/per wheel and they weigh just under 16 lbs each so pretty good value. They also are +36 offset so they line up nicely. I don't have a picture right now but the only color they come in is a painted grey. Some people might not like that but my car is black (not) and I really could care less about winning 1st place at a car show....look them up on Tire Rack.
Goodridge SS brake lines//ProjectMu 999's//Motul DOT 5.1 brake fluid//GrimmSpeed master cylinder brace//Jackson Racing Oil Cooler//Whiteline camber bolts//Raceseng CamCas plates//Kosei K4R 17x8//BFGoodrich Rivals 225/45

THEmailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:17 PM   #1299
DatApex

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
I have another question, apologies if this isn't the right place but seems like it's track related.

Since installing the cage in my car, the top bar goes right across my rear window in the factory rear view mirror, making it difficult to see out of the back. It's not a big deal tooling around town as I can just hunch down and look under the bar, but on track that could prove troublesome. I had [ame=http://www.amazon.com/E-Z-GO-603717-5-Panel-Wink-Mirror/dp/B00699X2H4/]one of these[/ame] in my old car, which was fantastic, but that was a convertible so it had proper mounting points, etc. So what are folks using for better visibility on track?
DatApex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:49 PM   #1300
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,181 Times in 6,837 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
i dont know if i agree with that. skinny wheels are never faster. skinny tires can be on some of the bigger tracks but here in socal a 9" rim is faster than an 8" rim (on a miata) on all but maybe one track. i imagine the extra 70hp and several hundred pounds would be able to heat up a wider tire. the best way to go about it is finding the tire size you want and then getting the widest appropriate wheel size to match.
But what size tire?
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:50 PM   #1301
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,181 Times in 6,837 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatApex View Post
I have another question, apologies if this isn't the right place but seems like it's track related.

Since installing the cage in my car, the top bar goes right across my rear window in the factory rear view mirror, making it difficult to see out of the back. It's not a big deal tooling around town as I can just hunch down and look under the bar, but on track that could prove troublesome. I had one of these in my old car, which was fantastic, but that was a convertible so it had proper mounting points, etc. So what are folks using for better visibility on track?
Move your mirror lower
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:51 PM   #1302
DatApex

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Move your mirror lower
I've tried that. It's the factory home link, so adjustability/visibility isn't the best on it to begin with.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
DatApex is offline   Reply With Quote