follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

View Poll Results: Do you have chirping (cricket) noise during idle once the car is warmed up?
Yes (Please only vote after you have 300 miles or more on the odometer) 3,100 85.21%
No (Please only vote after you have 300 miles or more on the odometer) 538 14.79%
Voters: 3638. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 01-23-2014, 04:20 PM   #3655
Pete156
I like to eat!

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
3 year unresolved cricket noise, FI issue,
Three year old issue on a car that hasn't been out for two?
An FI issue on a car with no FI?

Your credibility just flew off this forum
Pete156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:27 PM   #3656
Nemesis
H. Badger Cares About Him

Drives: BMW 335i coupe w/ man.6 spd
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by utekineir View Post
1) You said fi issue, the car does not have forced induction. Therefore no fi issues, some however have had di seal issues. Which i assume is what you were going for, the port injection component seems to be fine by all accounts. And after having a couple direct injected vws to maintain i'd prefer to have both systems.
2) I'm here for the giggles, and them learnings.
3) The video is more appropriate now than it was a half hour ago.
4) i'd rather have annoying noises than potential catastrophic failure, which isn't all that uncommon in modern engines (or at least the ones i get exposed to).
FI - fuel injection
2) your aura of mixed signals is pretty funny
3) I'm beginning to think it was a gesture of ill-will against me...tell me if I'm wrong: certainly no one wishes mal-intent on the jolly.
4) I think anything like that occurring on this car would be more attributable to an improperly modded engine. I think you're pretty safe.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:48 PM   #3657
Nemesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete156 View Post
Three year old issue on a car that hasn't been out for two?
An FI issue on a car with no FI?

Your credibility just flew off this forum
2013 frs were being tested by magazines as early as April 2012 in the US. Test mules were seen in the US even earlier.

FI - fuel injection, and yes.....yes it does. Both port and direct are types of FI

What's this? A further waste of conversation space concerning trivial incongruences.

Last edited by Nemesis; 01-24-2014 at 01:04 AM.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:16 PM   #3658
Nemesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
There's the trick though, these issues for the most part are minor.

The official DI failure poll has a grand total of 40 votes, even if you multiply that by 20x (assuming this forum consists of 5% of all Toyobaru's in the country) that's still at most 3% of the cars sold, and many who have had failures were modified. (Completely agreed that OEM cars failing even with track use is a problem and many dealerships fucked up not taking responsibility, but those are even more in the minority).

You forgot the lovely CEL Cam position sensor issue which seems to have been solved before 2012 was out, those are really the only issues resulting in failure other than the run of the mill flukes.

I hope you find a car that works for you, I really do and I think a post in the off topic section would be good "I bought X because these Toyobaru issues scared me" but calling us lemmings is unhelpful at best. These forums are great because you can know these issues going into a major purchase, hope you contribute positively in the future.

P.S. Did your BMW give you any issues? I've got a friend who's a BMW mechanic, heard too many stories to ever buy one made in the last two decades...

Edit: Actually you should probably respond via PM, I hate when these things go too off topic.
Passive-aggressive undertones noted. For one to say they hope I contribute positively in the future would be to assume I haven't....thwarting a group response of angry generalizations to any and all hints of opposition to the mantra is entirely positive. Go back and you'll find that I was attacked with a generalization after making an encouraging remark. Which, in turn, incited an odd mass hysteria of uninvoked insults.
My BMW has needed only a turbo vacuum tube replaced, other then regular maintenance since I bought it. I agree we should PM any further response.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nemesis For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (01-23-2014)
Old 01-23-2014, 05:32 PM   #3659
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
There was an "owners only" clause in this sites membership? Somehow I missed that...sarcasm aside: your ill-founded elitism only encourages your image as the drone.
Quote:
Irony that you're here making that statement....
Now you are just trolling.

Quote:
Matt, on a serious note: has anyone tried running a lubricating fuel injector cleaner through it? One thing I noticed when they switched to ethanol mixes, is that both my DI cars' performance dropped but would return after a treatment once a month or so. I use gumout's complete system cleaner....Again, good luck
There has been success with a 1:1000 ash free 2-cycle engine oil mixture.

Quote:
Go back and you'll find that I was attacked with a generalization after making an encouraging remark. Which, in turn, incited an odd mass hysteria of uninvoked insults.
Going to assume you meant "unprovoked." And you will find that while I was making an assumption, my first reply to you was fairly logical. You don't want one of the twins--blaming it on a inconsequential noise is just rationalizing your decision. To rehash, thats fine. You have been the one getting all defensive here.

And finally, in response to your defense in the previous post, I present your first post to this thread:

Quote:
This issue has kept me from purchasing an frs, despite wanting one really bad. I actually stopped at a light on the way into work Thursday and heard this loud noise that sounded like an old engine with a belt loose. I looked back expecting to see an old jalopy and there was a beautiful frs...so heart breaking. It really makes me wonder why toyota would allow this to occur without remedy. It almost leads me to believe they will can the scion version on the next gen frs move it to toyota and do their own engine....thus no desire to fix this one......just seems they wouldn't want to lose sales if they planned to keep this around for 3 more years.
That seems pretty specific for a "generalization."

Quote:
Sheesh, I can't remember the last time a toyota/scion was listed as unreliable by consumer reports. I'm so sorry you guys are going through all this.
Thanks. And I feel bad for Bimmer owners who have their first repair bill outside of warranty.

Then again, you probably have me ignored by now, so unfortunately, you are missing the nuggets of awesomeness in this post. Oh, and congrats on getting me to rise to the troll bait. I hereby award you 2 Internets!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It has priests in it?
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:32 PM   #3660
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Matt, on a serious note: has anyone tried running a lubricating fuel injector cleaner through it? One thing I noticed when they switched to ethanol mixes, is that both my DI cars' performance dropped but would return after a treatment once a month or so. I use gumout's complete system cleaner....Again, good luck
People have been using Lucas 2-cycle oil, a couple caps per tank and it eliminates the crickets for that tank. The cleaner will probably do the same.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:37 PM   #3661
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Matt View Post
People have been using Lucas 2-cycle oil, a couple caps per tank and it eliminates the crickets for that tank. The cleaner will probably do the same.
I don't remember where it was in this thread, but the cleaner had little to no effect. The only constant "fix" people saw was with the 2-cycle.
Quote:
It has priests in it?
Old 01-23-2014, 05:41 PM   #3662
Xabiss

Drives: 2013 - RBZ
Has anyone tried this stuff before?

Rislone - Fuel Injector Cleaner
http://barsproducts.com/catalog/view...ner-32-oz-4732
Xabiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:46 PM   #3663
Nemesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Matt View Post
That makes sense. Do consider trying the cleaner though, I know it lasts two full tanks, maybe more in the frs. Ethanol has been causing issues in everything. Supposedly an extreme compression draws out its performance, but in our engines it's not fully combusted leaving a ton of residue. With the Frs issue being pre-combustion chamber I'm curious what, if any effects, it will have. Hope it helps.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:46 PM   #3664
the new guy

Drives: 2014 Asphalt FR-S/2018 Thunder GT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Ordered my fuel pump late December and it's finally going on! I know the insulation is just a temp solution but I'll be happy to have the crickets quieted down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2014, 06:42 PM   #3665
KenTron3030

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I'm over 1 month and just over 2000 miles on the new pump. Still good, hoping it stays that way
KenTron3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:06 PM   #3666
2point0

Drives: '13 BRZ Ltd WRB
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
what's this thread about again?

tcw3 update: chirping can still be heard, but it's certainly less intense than before. the best part, really, is the lack of that horrible sound that makes the car seem like a 20 yr old diesel. I haven't bothered going back to my local dealer since they can't communicate for crap. but my OFT will arrive tomorrow and after I play with that for a bit I might just try out e85, which I understand already has extra lubricants and does not cause the chirping.
2point0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:16 PM   #3667
Okami
SAC Member

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ AT SWP
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
This chirping/cricket in the engine is annoyingly LOUD. Just got the first oil change at 3,500k and now this chirping is insanely loud.

It's embarrassing turning heads this way.
Okami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:55 AM   #3668
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Quote:
That makes sense. Do consider trying the cleaner though, I know it lasts two full tanks, maybe more in the frs. Ethanol has been causing issues in everything. Supposedly an extreme compression draws out its performance, but in our engines it's not fully combusted leaving a ton of residue. With the Frs issue being pre-combustion chamber I'm curious what, if any effects, it will have. Hope it helps.
Where did you hear this? First time I've seen anyone mention it.
Quote:
It has priests in it?
The Following User Says Thank You to HunterGreene For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (01-24-2014)