follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-18-2013, 04:28 PM   #29
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
while the MT requires a shift to 3rd to hit 60 (or so I'm told).
It does in fact require a shift to 3rd.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OrbitalEllipses For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-18-2013)
Old 07-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #30
Rich@ViscontiTuning
Banned

Drives: 2012 VW GLI
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
You can get a semi-decent launch if you don't press the brake all the way in, but it would be hard to hold a line.

If you could get a full "clutch drop" type launch, I actually think the AT would be faster because it will do 60MPH in second gear (I've done it) while the MT requires a shift to 3rd to hit 60 (or so I'm told).
All the more reason to upgrade your ECU with V-Tune . We've got two more aggressive stages of Traction Control and we've raised the rev limit in 2nd so you can hit 60mph. This is of course in addition to several more awesome improvements for both MT and AT.
Rich@ViscontiTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich@ViscontiTuning For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-18-2013)
Old 07-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #31
Hardrock4445

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
My theory on slow 0-60 for AT, you can only launch around 2500. An by the time you are done with a small amount of wheelspin you are smack dab in the middle of the torque dip. One advantage to AT which really saves face for this AT, you can hit 63 in 2nd gear. This completely saves face for the AT owners. If you had to add the time to shift 2-3 it would be 7+. My AT 0-60
[ame]http://youtu.be/EpAh7rRooOU[/ame]
Dadhawk (07-18-2013)
Old 07-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #32
kidgogeta

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich@ViscontiTuning View Post
All the more reason to upgrade your ECU with V-Tune . We've got two more aggressive stages of Traction Control and we've raised the rev limit in 2nd so you can hit 60mph. This is of course in addition to several more awesome improvements for both MT and AT.
Rich do we (auto) drivers get any fun stuff like launch control?
kidgogeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:00 PM   #33
autobrz

Drives: Mazda 3
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
who cares about 0-60? Who drives around town launching their car from every stop?
real world driving is about 25-60 or 35-70 or 65-90.
I bet in those situations, the AT and MT are neck to neck.
autobrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:58 PM   #34
Nightbringer

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
V-Tune definitely made a big improvement on pump, and huge on E85. You definitely still launch into the dip but it's vastly less detrimental. Pulls through the dip quick, and the 5500-7000 yank is way more pronounced. Are the more aggressive traction control options still present in the current auto tune? I thought we only had the one map at the moment. Maybe I'm just bad at making the cruise control stalk switch for me.
Nightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nightbringer For This Useful Post:
Rich@ViscontiTuning (07-19-2013)
Old 07-18-2013, 08:52 PM   #35
Hardrock4445

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by autobrz View Post
who cares about 0-60? Who drives around town launching their car from every stop?
real world driving is about 25-60 or 35-70 or 65-90.
I bet in those situations, the AT and MT are neck to neck.
Some people do care. me personally, I don't. but its still fun once in a while.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #36
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,352 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidgogeta View Post
Can't have launch control with a torque converter. The stall speed of the converter is too low to need launch control. If you push hard on the brake and floor it in D the speed the engine revs to is the stall speed of the torque converter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
Hmm. Who cares about the speed, I just like the fact paddles make me feel like an F1 driver. Also maybe they will add some sort of launch control in the future, I know Ferrari's and Nissan's launch control holds first or second gear and constantly modulates the brakes for best traction and acceleration then learns the surface once you do it once making it a tenth of a second or two faster the next time you run it on that surface, maybe in the next generation?
Ferrari and Nissan have real clutches, not torque converters so they can disengage the clutch to get the revs up before launch and also modulate the clutch as part of the launch control algorithm if needed. With a torque converter you simply can't change the stall speed of the torque converter on the fly, you need a different torque converter.
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
Nightbringer (07-19-2013)
Old 07-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #37
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Can't have launch control with a torque converter. The stall speed of the converter is too low to need launch control. If you push hard on the brake and floor it in D the speed the engine revs to is the stall speed of the torque converter.

Ferrari and Nissan have real clutches, not torque converters so they can disengage the clutch to get the revs up before launch and also modulate the clutch as part of the launch control algorithm if needed. With a torque converter you simply can't change the stall speed of the torque converter on the fly, you need a different torque converter.
Thanks for clearing that up, but with development constantly happening with Lexus/Toyota/Subaru there shouldn't be any problem with creating a new torque converter, but it really wouldn't be worth it to shoot the price up AND a dual clutch system would also cost more.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:17 PM   #38
wparsons

Garage
A higher stall torque converter wouldn't cost any more up front in the development of the car, but a higher stall speed means more slippage until it locks up and more drivetrain losses. You'll never see a high stall converter come stock in a car like this.

IMO, it should have a dual clutch box for the "auto" option, even more efficient than the current auto and could add launch control.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:27 PM   #39
Nightbringer

Having a DSG variant like the GTi would be fantastic. I toyed with the idea of a higher-stall converter, but losing the "tightness" of the factory converter, it'd be vastly less enjoyable in corners and part-throttling around town. DSG is the best of both worlds, though the trans is drastically more expensive in and of itself, with the added maintenance costs all the dual clutch transmissions carry. Our shift times, shockingly, aren't that far behind many of the DCTs (without reflash). Never seen a converter transmission that'd shift this quickly on command.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:27 PM   #40
wparsons

Garage
^^ Keep in mind that the transmission ECU locks up the torque converter as soon as it can, even at part throttle, so if you can find a higher stall torque converter with lockup functionality and the transmission ECU could be flashed to not lock up quite so early I'm sure you could keep the current behaviour in corners and at part throttle.
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
Nightbringer (07-19-2013)
Old 07-19-2013, 03:41 PM   #41
Nightbringer

That's true, I keep forgetting about the aggressive lockup. Sure do love that feel compared to standard slushboxs. I'm sure there will be a plethora of aftermarket options a few years down the road. Thanks for the info!
Old 07-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #42
Rich@ViscontiTuning
Banned

Drives: 2012 VW GLI
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightbringer View Post
V-Tune definitely made a big improvement on pump, and huge on E85. You definitely still launch into the dip but it's vastly less detrimental. Pulls through the dip quick, and the 5500-7000 yank is way more pronounced. Are the more aggressive traction control options still present in the current auto tune? I thought we only had the one map at the moment. Maybe I'm just bad at making the cruise control stalk switch for me.
Yeah we've made big improvements to the torque dip, especially with our new STG2 flash for those that have upgraded the headers. STG2 is a free upgrade for anyone with STG1 and it's definitely worth checking out! As far as TC options go, those are available in both AT and MT. I'm assuming you still have V-Tune in your car right? Do you know what version you're running? It may be time for an upgrade to the calibration if you haven't done so in a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidgogeta View Post
@wparsons did a great job of explaining the inherent limitations of the traditional automatic transmission. I wholeheartedly agree that this car would benefit tremendously from a Dual-Clutch Transmission, just like what's in the VW GTI/GLI range. However.. you may notice I happen to drive a 2012 GLI and even with VW's phenomenal DCT as an option for me when I purchased my car, nothing will ever replace a real 6 speed manual in my opinion. But that's just me
Rich@ViscontiTuning is offline   Reply With Quote