follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 07-31-2013, 08:54 PM   #1
marine6680

Drives: FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Questions about EcuTek tuning.

I was thinking about doing this... but I have never messed with such things. Last time I messed with tuning/increasing power was on old carbureted vehicles, and that effort was limited in scope.

I understand the basic concepts and all involved, its just some specifics that I am wondering about. (but hey, any tidbits and education given is always good)

If I want to run E85 (which I most likely would) do I need any parts beyond what is needed to run the tune? Like a sensor or other parts. The ability to switch between gas types easily is important.

There are no tuners close by, so would doin the ECU flash myself be reasonable, or is a tuner needed to really make it worth the effort? I am computer/tech savy (I am an electronics tech) if that maters when running the software.

From the sticky I gather that the price is about $500 for a tune from a shop. (give or take depending on individual shop) Is that accurate? If I have it tuned at a shop, I really don't need to purchase my own cable do I? I would if I did the flash myself though, and the price would be about the same price, but minus the experience of a pro tuner.

If I do the flash myself, it seems there are several sources for maps. (I equate this to software updates/versions) Any source for these maps that are recommended the most? I am guessing that buying from different tuners has different levels of support and costs.

Direct responces are great, or if there are threads/posts I can read, point me too them. Either works.
Thanks
marine6680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:00 PM   #2
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marine6680 View Post
If I want to run E85 (which I most likely would) do I need any parts beyond what is needed to run the tune? Like a sensor or other parts. The ability to switch between gas types easily is important.
Nope (assuming you're staying NA. if you go FI you'll likely need injectors/fuel pump). Note that some tuners allow pump gas and e85 to be included on the same rom for easy map switching, others do not.

Quote:
There are no tuners close by, so would doin the ECU flash myself be reasonable, or is a tuner needed to really make it worth the effort? I am computer/tech savy (I am an electronics tech) if that maters when running the software.
An e-tune will definitely net you some power. An in person (dyno) tune will always be able to squeeze out more power, but plenty to be gained working with a remote tuner.

Quote:
From the sticky I gather that the price is about $500 for a tune from a shop. (give or take depending on individual shop) Is that accurate? If I have it tuned at a shop, I really don't need to purchase my own cable do I? I would if I did the flash myself though, and the price would be about the same price, but minus the experience of a pro tuner.
Depends on the tuner, but that's about right. I'd recommend getting your own cable since you don't live near a tuner and you will likely want to datalog/get updates as you add other parts.

Quote:
If I do the flash myself, it seems there are several sources for maps. (I equate this to software updates/versions) Any source for these maps that are recommended the most? I am guessing that buying from different tuners has different levels of support and costs.
I've dealt now with 3 tuners on this board. It's all a game of trade offs, some may be better at tuning while leaving something to be desired in customer service, others the opposite. Do some research on each vendor before making a decision. Some to look at though would be @FA20Club.com @moto-mike @Visconti among many others.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
marine6680

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
Nope (assuming you're staying NA. if you go FI you'll likely need injectors/fuel pump). Note that some tuners allow pump gas and e85 to be included on the same rom for easy map switching, others do not.

An e-tune will definitely net you some power. An in person (dyno) tune will always be able to squeeze out more power, but plenty to be gained working with a remote tuner.

Depends on the tuner, but that's about right. I'd recommend getting your own cable since you don't live near a tuner and you will likely want to datalog/get updates as you add other parts.

I've dealt now with 3 tuners on this board. It's all a game of trade offs, some may be better at tuning while leaving something to be desired in customer service, others the opposite. Do some research on each vendor before making a decision. Some to look at though would be @FA20Club.com @moto-mike @Visconti among many others.
Thanks for the info.

So no parts needed, even if I mix gas types? I usually run to the gas light, but sometimes fill up sooner.

I probably won't add parts... other than a CAI at most. (I have the factory installed Borla exhaust, so I may have a local shop fab up a new midpipe though)

I am not a dedicated tinkerer. I have too many hobbies and interests, so I will not be constantly messing with the car and tune. Though I can keep up with updates if need be.

Plus this is an "our car" situation, my primary is my Tacoma. So I will be keeping it NA and limited in power gains. A little to flatten out the torque and bump up the HP would be fine. Though, I am looking at the upcoming "electric" supercharger just for some fun though. (with as much knowledge of brushless motors as I have... I am wondering if I can tweak it to run slower on 12v power and all the time for some limited/reduced power gain, but all the time, not just WOT)
Old 07-31-2013, 09:41 PM   #4
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the info.

So no parts needed, even if I mix gas types? I usually run to the gas light, but sometimes fill up sooner.
If you're going to be mixing gas types without running it down to empty first, you'll want to buy a flex fuel kit. Visconti and FA20club both have them.

Quote:
I probably won't add parts... other than a CAI at most. (I have the factory installed Borla exhaust, so I may have a local shop fab up a new midpipe though)
I'd advise you not add an intake. If anything, just replace the stock panel filter. The stock intake system is quite good and aftermarket ones have proven to cause more headaches than gains.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:49 PM   #5
Andy@FA20Club
Banned

Drives: FA20Club.com
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
the new flex fuel kit information can be found here http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43121 we will be adding pricing and additional details later.
@xjohnx is correct if you would like to gas and go without worry of map this will be the best way to go as it reads and makes all the needed changes on the fly...
Andy@FA20Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:11 PM   #6
marine6680

If I am seeing this correctly... its going to be over a grand for the cable, flash, and flexfuel kit. (I am guessing the kit will be a few hundred)
Old 08-01-2013, 08:52 AM   #7
Andy@FA20Club
Banned

Quote:
If I am seeing this correctly... its going to be over a grand for the cable, flash, and flex-fuel kit. (I am guessing the kit will be a few hundred)
We offer a few options from tune only with map switching to running the full Flex-Fuel kit that vary. You can also do this in stages which will provide you the chance to space it all out.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:55 PM   #8
marine6680

Ok thanks.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:03 AM   #9
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I have a quick question that I hope someone can answer. When switching maps, is the IAM and LTFT set for that map, or are they general setting held over all the maps? If they are separate, I assume you can tie two maps together so if you have 2 maps the same but with some RR features enabled?

@Visconti @FA20Club.com @moto-mike @Rich@ViscontiTuning

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #10
Andy@FA20Club
Banned

Each map will have its own settings, but yes map 2 and 3 can have the same setting with 3 having RR enabled vs. 2.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:53 PM   #11
JPxM0Dz
F Z1LLA

Drives: Lexus IS-F Series 2
Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,246 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy@FA20Club View Post
Each map will have its own settings, but yes map 2 and 3 can have the same setting with 3 having RR enabled vs. 2.
Please check your PM
Old 08-07-2013, 08:57 PM   #12
Andy@FA20Club
Banned

thanks sent.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:17 AM   #13
marine6680

Well I seen the kit was available...

So starting from scratch on a stock car, what all would I need to get to do the flexfuel thing? Wondering about the total cost to do this.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:46 AM   #14
Andy@FA20Club
Banned

you will need the below 4 things
Flex Fuel Kit
EcuTek Cable
EcuTek License
Tune from an EcuTek tuner.