follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 11-18-2016, 03:58 PM   #1
ProjectMidnight86

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ABS and Traction Control lights after taking clock spring out.

So I installed an aftermarket steering wheel using the NRG short hub adapter, but the one advertised for other scions not the FR-S. In order to install this short hub I needed to take out the clock spring, so I did, but now my ABS and Traction Control Light (the one on the center guage) are on. Anybody know how to get them to turn off? What exactly on the clockspring keeps the lights from turning on?

Last edited by ProjectMidnight86; 11-18-2016 at 04:20 PM.
ProjectMidnight86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 05:51 PM   #2
Crazypinoy9

Drives: FR-S TRD RS1#1488
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
the way you worded your description sounds like you didn't put the clock spring back in. Just pointing it out...
Crazypinoy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Crazypinoy9 For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (11-18-2016)
Old 11-18-2016, 06:26 PM   #3
ProjectMidnight86

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazypinoy9 View Post
the way you worded your description sounds like you didn't put the clock spring back in. Just pointing it out...
Yeah I didn't put it back the short hub I used doesn't work with the clockspring in. I'm trying to figure out is there a way to turn the ABS and Traction Control lights off. Also what specifically about the clockspring makes sure those lights don't turn on.
ProjectMidnight86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 07:04 PM   #4
yelsew
Little Member

Drives: Bloo - The 13' BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
The traction control and abs like to know which way your steering wheel is pointed, so when you remove the clockspring they get really unhappy and wont work right. You need a hub that allows you to use the clockspring.
People just need some #drivermod in their life.
yelsew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yelsew For This Useful Post:
Cole (11-18-2016), go_a_way1 (11-18-2016), Kenny_LongWrench (11-20-2016)
Old 11-18-2016, 07:39 PM   #5
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelsew View Post
The traction control and abs like to know which way your steering wheel is pointed, so when you remove the clockspring they get really unhappy and wont work right. You need a hub that allows you to use the clockspring.
Nhaaa man these new computers can just guess
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to go_a_way1 For This Useful Post:
yelsew (11-18-2016)
Old 11-18-2016, 08:02 PM   #6
Trust86

Drives: 2016 Halo FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Yea no way to turn them off that I'm aware off. Need a hub that will keep it. Currently you have no abs or traction/stability control. Hopefully when you do re install it, if you do, you will not need to get it re calibrated. Tech stream needed to re calibrated it. The dealer will try to sell you a clock spring as well. Same thing happened to me except my lights came on after an alignment by a certain shop. Never went there again. Got it realigned at a much better shop, but it's still on..... need tech stream
Trust86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 11:58 PM   #7
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
hopefully it's as easy as replugging the clock spring back in, otherwise... rip wallet
Old 02-03-2021, 12:24 AM   #8
omz

Drives: BRZ
ABS and Traction Control clock spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectMidnight86 View Post
So I installed an aftermarket steering wheel using the NRG short hub adapter, but the one advertised for other scions not the FR-S. In order to install this short hub I needed to take out the clock spring, so I did, but now my ABS and Traction Control Light (the one on the center guage) are on. Anybody know how to get them to turn off? What exactly on the clockspring keeps the lights from turning on?
I changed out my steering wheel and I rotated the clock spring while the car was still on. This caused the traction control light and ABS light to come on. The only way I resolved this why is by getting an alignment and having the shop reset the code. At first I thought I broke the clock spring so I bought a new one from eBay which was a third-party one. After installing this new clock spring I realize that the ABS and traction control lights remained on. I tried disconnecting the battery overnight and tried running the car for half an hour stopping and starting it with no luck. The only way to resolve this like I said was to take it to and high end alignment shop. These shops have high end scanners that can erase these codes which would probably also need an alignment. The ABS light and traction control lights have never come back on sense. Just as a note make sure you do not rotate your clock spring what was the ignition on the car is on this will cause the computer to think that there is an alignment issue and the traction control and ABS lights will come on. The proper way to resolve this is to have an alignment done and have the shop reset the codes. Hope this helps.
omz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to omz For This Useful Post:
Thefalls (02-03-2021)

Tags
abs, clockspring, steering wheel, traction control