follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 07-11-2012, 09:10 AM   #1
Slick

Drives: FR-S Firestorm 6MT
Thanked 1,389 Times in 628 Posts
Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Calabogie Track Days

Hi Guys,
Starting a thread where we can post about upcoming trackdays at Calabogie Motorsport Park near Ottawa. I have done lots of lapping days and schools there since the track opened, and can say that it is perfectly suited for the FR-S.

It is a very technical track, driver-ability is rewarded. If you haven't been there, you are missing out on one of the best club tracks in North America.

Trackmap. This is a 20 turn 5 km long circuit.

Most days the track is used in its full configuration. On certain days or race weekends, depending on available marshalls, the track can be shortened to use turns 9-20.
Attached Images

Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick For This Useful Post:
FRSToyota86 (11-01-2013), Slartibartfast (09-01-2012)
Old 07-11-2012, 09:13 AM   #2
Slick

The Motorsports Club of Ottawa (MCO) is hosting a lapping evening this coming Friday, July 13th from 5pm -7pm for $132.

Register here:
http://www.karelo.com/enter_res.php?&BID=269#Ev11985

This is a great way to test your skills or try out the track without the cost of a full lapping day (usually $300-400 depending on the club).

Instructors (including myself) are available for newbies.

I will be attending this Friday.

Last edited by Slick; 07-11-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:20 AM   #3
fanta

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
See you this Friday
fanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:34 AM   #4
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
one day i will drive this track...

but a 5 hour drive just to get there is killer
Old 07-11-2012, 09:46 AM   #5
Slick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
one day i will drive this track...

but a 5 hour drive just to get there is killer
You need to convince the others to have another Time Attack event here.
I'll come out for that one as well!
Old 07-11-2012, 09:55 AM   #6
engsr

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
There were several solosprint events back when the track first opened - Nationals was back in 2008 but what a gong show that was. I believe that was the last time an event was held there.

It is a beautiful track though - I did two racing schools there (2008, 2010) and I plan to go again next year for my race license.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #7
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
You need to convince the others to have another Time Attack event here.
I'll come out for that one as well!
Ohh believe me everyone and their grandma wants to host another event there.

But their track rental fees are simply too high. Not to mention that due to some sort of weird red tape, the ambulance service that we pay for at the track is not sufficient as per our regulations, and we must use outside service ambulance, but the outside service ambulance can't enter the track because of their inhouse ambulance, so we must buy both ambulance services to meet our regulations.

Factor in CASC levies, insurance certificates and all that other crap and you're looking at an entry price of (as you said) 400 dollars just to break even at around 50 competitors. (remember we don't make a cent from our series)

Every year we approach Calabogie for reduced rental rates and they just shrug their shoulders. So MIR is the only high caliber track we can include at the moment.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:08 PM   #8
pastuch

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Slick, for those of us that have never done any racing would we be better off at one of the cone course events at Scotiabank place or is the Calabogie track a good place to learn?

(Assuming we have a coach like yourself for both).
pastuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:01 PM   #9
engsr

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Autoslalom (cones) is the best way to learn the limits in a lower speed setting. I would suggest that with cars like ours that if you have zero performance driving experience (slalom, track, etc.) that you take it to an autoslalom and learn what the car will do when pushed beyond its limits. The consequences at an autoslalom are less than at a track and Calabogie is not forgiving. I know three people that wrote off their cars at Calabogie - one was because he went way beyond his capabilities and crashed in Kink.

MCO host amazing events and the lot is one of the best that I've been too. If I was closer to Ottawa, I would try to get out to Scotiabank place as often as I could.
pastuch (07-11-2012)
Old 07-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #10
pastuch

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by engsr View Post
Autoslalom (cones) is the best way to learn the limits in a lower speed setting. I would suggest that with cars like ours that if you have zero performance driving experience (slalom, track, etc.) that you take it to an autoslalom and learn what the car will do when pushed beyond its limits. The consequences at an autoslalom are less than at a track and Calabogie is not forgiving. I know three people that wrote off their cars at Calabogie - one was because he went way beyond his capabilities and crashed in Kink.

MCO host amazing events and the lot is one of the best that I've been too. If I was closer to Ottawa, I would try to get out to Scotiabank place as often as I could.
Thanks a lot... I would do the MCO day this weekend but I can't drive my car this weekend because the Opticoat will still be drying/curing until Monday. They don't have any more autocross events scheduled yet.
pastuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:48 PM   #11
Slick

Quote:

Agree.
I have done both in my time (autocross and track), and it comes down to what you prefer.
Lots of track guys will snub their noses at autoslalom, but this is where you learn to "feel" the car and what it does at and beyond the limits.

That said, not all lapping days are equal. MCO and most "affiliated" clubs, will put on a professional lapping day and schools, where you need to be signed off as you progress. It also teaches you proper form from the start, so you don't develop habits as your speed increases which can lead to trouble.

Drive within your limits is the key.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:40 PM   #12
fanta

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
The consequences at an autoslalom are less than at a track and Calabogie is not forgiving. I know three people that wrote off their cars at Calabogie - one was because he went way beyond his capabilities and crashed in Kink.
I saw once July 2010 BMW Driving School.
fanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:11 AM   #13
Slick

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanta View Post
See you this Friday
Cool, what colour is your FR-S? Will look for you.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:14 PM   #14
Klinn

Drives: '20 Pure Red BRZ, '20 Torch Red C8
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastuch View Post
Thanks a lot... I would do the MCO day this weekend but I can't drive my car this weekend because the Opticoat will still be drying/curing until Monday. They don't have any more autocross events scheduled yet.
There are confirmed dates for the next three Sundays. Subsequent tentative dates will likely be confirmed soon. All events (except for June 16th) are at ScotiaBank Place.

CONFIRMED DATES:
May 19th school
June 3rd - Event 1
June 10 - Event 2
June 16th PMG
July 7th - Event 4
July 15th - Event 5 (Interprovincial Cup)
July 22nd - Event 6
July 29th - Event 7

TENTATIVE DATES:
August 18th
September 9th
September 23rd -- shoot out

The most up-to-date info can always be found in this thread: http://www.mco.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14102

If you can find a way out to this weekend's event, even though you're not able to run, feel free to look for me (red FR-S) in the paddock area and I'll be glad to give you a ride if you want. It's always more fun on the inside. Best time to drop by would be after lunch, say 1:00-ish to 3:00. We have to clean up and vacate the lot by 4:00. There's spectator parking in the lot just beside Lot 9 where we have the paddock area for competitors.

Edit: There's at least one other FR-S showing up at this Sunday's event, a driver from CADL, the club in Montreal.

Last edited by Klinn; 07-12-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Klinn is offline   Reply With Quote