follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 03-25-2018, 12:33 AM   #1
ragnarokfps

Drives: 2016 BRZ Series.HyperBlue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Samsung S8 Plus and my BRZ's radio

3 things:

I've owned both a BRZ and an FR-S. Both 2016s. The frs was a base model, brz a hyperblue which I think is the limited trim. I dunno if the radio is different between the limited, hyperblue, or base/premium 16' brz.

Bluetooth connectivity speed. Can this be improved without new parts? The FRS connects WAY faster to my S8+ than the BRZ does. Same phone used with both cars.

Music. I'm using Spotify as my music app, connected via Bluetooth to the car. I skip tracks and the phone app skips tracks. But the display in the car doesn't show the next track that my phone says it's on. My first thought is that its the phone, but that's not certain. How to fix...

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
ragnarokfps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 02:17 AM   #2
dostoyevsky

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Just a shitty quirk of japanese headunits rofl
dostoyevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 11:05 AM   #3
tehShirt

Drives: 2014 Subaru Forester
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarokfps View Post
3 things:

I've owned both a BRZ and an FR-S. Both 2016s. The frs was a base model, brz a hyperblue which I think is the limited trim. I dunno if the radio is different between the limited, hyperblue, or base/premium 16' brz.

Bluetooth connectivity speed. Can this be improved without new parts? The FRS connects WAY faster to my S8+ than the BRZ does. Same phone used with both cars.

Music. I'm using Spotify as my music app, connected via Bluetooth to the car. I skip tracks and the phone app skips tracks. But the display in the car doesn't show the next track that my phone says it's on. My first thought is that its the phone, but that's not certain. How to fix...

Thanks

I have an S7, and the track data never updates. I think it's a Samsung issue as my Motorola and Apple phones do not have issue. Same thing happens in my friend's 2016 Impreza, the Samsung phones don't update track info.
tehShirt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tehShirt For This Useful Post:
ragnarokfps (03-26-2018)
Old 03-26-2018, 04:36 PM   #4
ragnarokfps

Drives: 2016 BRZ Series.HyperBlue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehShirt View Post
I have an S7, and the track data never updates. I think it's a Samsung issue as my Motorola and Apple phones do not have issue. Same thing happens in my friend's 2016 Impreza, the Samsung phones don't update track info.
I guess I left out a detail. The FRS sometimes didn't update the track info. But it did most of the time as well as connecting much quicker. The BRZ connects a lot slower and has never once updated track info when the song changes. It always shows whatever track played first when starting the music app.

ragnarokfps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 10:52 PM   #5
carsebuco
How do I shift?

Drives: '13 GBS BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
My girlfriend had a 15 wrx which uses the same HU as my 13 brz, and it's definitely the HU.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:06 PM   #6
tehShirt

Drives: 2014 Subaru Forester
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarokfps View Post
I guess I left out a detail. The FRS sometimes didn't update the track info. But it did most of the time as well as connecting much quicker. The BRZ connects a lot slower and has never once updated track info when the song changes. It always shows whatever track played first when starting the music app.

It seems to be common issue with the Starlink headunits and Samsung phones. I've found threads on other Subaru and Spotify forums, but no solution unfortunately.
tehShirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 04:26 PM   #7
Djratrap

Drives: BRZ CSB Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I run the 13' HU with an S9+ and still have connectivity issues. Friends iphone 6 connects to my HU everytime with no lag. The older head units don't appear to be samsung friendly when it comes to bluetooth. I often have to power cycle my car because the HU doesn't connect properly to my phone. I just got the S9 and connectivity is much better(than my s6), but still has issues once in a while.
Djratrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:17 PM   #8
NCtoBRZ

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
My previous Note 8 and my current s9+ connected to the factory head unit via BT fairly quickly (within 10 seconds or so of starting the car) using Pandora and the track info updated with each track skip just fine. However, the Pioneer Android Auto head unit that I installed is worlds better in every way imaginable than the stock HU. It connects instantly and sounds much better than the factory HU.
NCtoBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote