follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 07-29-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
RandomHero
SW5 Driver

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
HELP! Stone chip!

Hey guys got a stone chip about a week ago? Ordered a paint pen immediately. Got it today, looked at the paint chip and there are 2 fine spots of rust!!
Can I still use a paint pen? do i need to sand now? Is there any solvents i should use? Please help! Thanks in advance!
RandomHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
Gen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomHero View Post
Hey guys got a stone chip about a week ago? Ordered a paint pen immediately. Got it today, looked at the paint chip and there are 2 fine spots of rust!!
Can I still use a paint pen? do i need to sand now? Is there any solvents i should use? Please help! Thanks in advance!
I wouldn't even bother with the paint pen, to be honest. 95% of the time it looks worse than the chip. You'll get more, I promise...

You could do what the cool kids do and bust out a sharpie.
Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
RandomHero
SW5 Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen View Post
I wouldn't even bother with the paint pen, to be honest. 95% of the time it looks worse than the chip. You'll get more, I promise...

You could do what the cool kids do and bust out a sharpie.
But the chip has gone to the metal obviously, wont the rust get worse? There is no way im using a sharpie on this car. I intended to sand the paint pen with 1500 and 2000 grit sand paper and the cut it in with a nice polish but I dont know how to prep such a small area with rust
Old 07-29-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
20valvewynn83

Drives: 2013 FRS/01 Tacoma
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
whats the location of the chip
20valvewynn83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:44 PM   #5
RandomHero
SW5 Driver

Garage
On the roof above the windshield
Old 07-29-2012, 07:50 PM   #6
RandomHero
SW5 Driver

Garage
Pics. Sorry if they are a little blurry, iPhone doesnt have macro mode.
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2012, 08:14 PM   #7
C. Charles Hahn

Drives: GMC Sierra Crew Cab
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
But the chip has gone to the metal obviously, wont the rust get worse? There is no way im using a sharpie on this car. I intended to sand the paint pen with 1500 and 2000 grit sand paper and the cut it in with a nice polish but I dont know how to prep such a small area with rust
For an area as small as a chip, what I use is a small pick like they use when you go to the dentist. It allows me to "scrape" the rust away and access clean metal without enlarging the chip or otherwise causing damage to the surrounding area.

Really, anything small and sharp like that should work. Even a safety pin or bulletin board push pin if you're careful.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:18 PM   #8
Gen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Ah sorry, missed the part about the rust. That changes things.
Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:36 PM   #9
RandomHero
SW5 Driver

Garage
Ok I think power fist makes a "Dentist Pick Kit" I'll check out NAPA tomorrow. Poor FRS i wish this hadnt happened so soon!
Old 07-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #10
picus

Drives: FJ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Hey - you're in Ontario so this should help.

Head over to Canadian Tire, go to the automotive paint section and get some "rust converter". They will have an aerosol and a ~8oz liquid. Get the liquid. Put a little of the liquid on a microfiber (wear gloves if you're concerned about your manicure. ) and dab it on the chips liberally. Do this out of sunlight (you want the paint cold). Wait ~10 min then check the rust. It should be grey, the rust converter will have turned it to primer. If it isn't; re-apply. When it is fully grey, apply touch up *lightly*.

If you need help with the actual aesthetic of the touchup let me know. The rust converter will take care of any rust concerns. If you're losing your mind over it you can lightly sand the rust ahead of time (put alittle 2k grit on the tip of a pencil) and apply primer; but the rust converter should take care of it.
picus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to picus For This Useful Post:
RandomHero (07-29-2012)
Old 07-29-2012, 11:17 PM   #11
RandomHero
SW5 Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by picus View Post
Hey - you're in Ontario so this should help.

Head over to Canadian Tire, go to the automotive paint section and get some "rust converter". They will have an aerosol and a ~8oz liquid. Get the liquid. Put a little of the liquid on a microfiber (wear gloves if you're concerned about your manicure. ) and dab it on the chips liberally. Do this out of sunlight (you want the paint cold). Wait ~10 min then check the rust. It should be grey, the rust converter will have turned it to primer. If it isn't; re-apply. When it is fully grey, apply touch up *lightly*.

If you need help with the actual aesthetic of the touchup let me know. The rust converter will take care of any rust concerns. If you're losing your mind over it you can lightly sand the rust ahead of time (put alittle 2k grit on the tip of a pencil) and apply primer; but the rust converter should take care of it.

Thanks ill give that a shot! From what ive gathered from google. I might scratch at this with a pick or a little sand paper, apply the rust converter u recommended, prep it, primer pen it, paint pen it, sand lightly, clear pen it, sand lightly, polish. I want it to be as invisible as possible as I have an opticoat appointment booked on the 10th!
Old 07-29-2012, 11:29 PM   #12
Hamza7

Drives: MiniVan
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
If your near Markham, I have a extra dentist pick I got in a 4 pack. Their also great for cleaning interior LOL. I would also NOT recommend sanding a spot so close to the edge. Paint on the edge of a panel like that is typically very very thin so sanding it could raise the potential to go through the clear of the "rest" of the area. I also have a 1mm disposable paint brushes that are ideal for laying down even, precise coats of paint. Way better then paint pens, personally I recommend paint pots.

But anyways come by if you want to grab the stuff, I have extra I'm not going to use this year anyways.
Hamza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hamza7 For This Useful Post:
C. Charles Hahn (07-30-2012)
Old 07-29-2012, 11:35 PM   #13
rcm47

Drives: 13’ FRS (traded), 18’ CWP BRZ tS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
How much is a paint pen? Can I just go to a Subaru dealership and purchase one?
rcm47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:40 AM   #14
C. Charles Hahn

Drives: GMC Sierra Crew Cab
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamza7 View Post
If your near Markham, I have a extra dentist pick I got in a 4 pack. Their also great for cleaning interior LOL. I would also NOT recommend sanding a spot so close to the edge. Paint on the edge of a panel like that is typically very very thin so sanding it could raise the potential to go through the clear of the "rest" of the area. I also have a 1mm disposable paint brushes that are ideal for laying down even, precise coats of paint. Way better then paint pens, personally I recommend paint pots.

But anyways come by if you want to grab the stuff, I have extra I'm not going to use this year anyways.
Agreed. What I usually use to apply touch-up is one of these:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Paint-Cans-E-Z-APPLICATOR-PLASTIC/dp/B002GEONGU"]EZ Paint Cans 78000 E-Z DABBER APPLICATOR(40) E-Z MIX PLASTIC MIXING: Amazon.com: Home & Kitchen[/ame]