follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 12-29-2018, 11:11 AM   #1
alex87f
Meow

Drives: GT86, Volvo 996
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
OBD power draw?

Hello everybody,

I just purchased an OBD2 bluetooth dongle, which has an on/off switch on it. Can I be 100% sure that there will not be any power draw at all as long as the switch is on the "off" position?

Best regards,
Alex
alex87f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 11:31 AM   #2
Qwimby1

Drives: 14 FRS Monogram, 05 Mazdasped Miata
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex87f View Post
Hello everybody,

I just purchased an OBD2 bluetooth dongle, which has an on/off switch on it. Can I be 100% sure that there will not be any power draw at all as long as the switch is on the "off" position?

Best regards,
Alex
I've had my OBDLink MX in two cars It doesn't have an on/off switch per se, but goes into sleep mode when the car is turned off. I've had no problems with it.
Qwimby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Qwimby1 For This Useful Post:
alex87f (12-29-2018)
Old 12-29-2018, 11:53 AM   #3
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwimby1 View Post
I've had my OBDLink MX in two cars It doesn't have an on/off switch per se, but goes into sleep mode when the car is turned off. I've had no problems with it.
I have an MX and an LX. Both have failed to go into sleep mode and drained my battery when the car has been left sitting for a week. The MX worked okay for a while and then just stopped going into sleep mode at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex87f View Post
Can I be 100% sure that there will not be any power draw at all as long as the switch is on the "off" position?
You can't be sure of anything, but if it actually has a switch I would expect it to work. What brand/model is this?
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 02:35 PM   #4
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,596 Times in 18,970 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
I have an MX and an LX. Both have failed to go into sleep mode and drained my battery when the car has been left sitting for a week. The MX worked okay for a while and then just stopped going into sleep mode at all.
Strange. I mounted an extension socket into the back of the cubby under the heater knobs. If I'm not using my LX while driving, it toggles between sleep and scan every 10 minutes. If I shut off the car, it stays asleep until the next time I unlock it.

I wonder if this ties into the mystery of the BRZ battery drainage. Perhaps the waking scanner is not the cause but rather a symptom of unwanted CAN bus activity.
Old 12-29-2018, 04:37 PM   #5
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
I wonder if this ties into the mystery of the BRZ battery drainage. Perhaps the waking scanner is not the cause but rather a symptom of unwanted CAN bus activity.
I figured it was OBDLink firmware that just wasn't ready for prime time, but I guess it could be something in the car waking it up. When I would go out of town, if I forgot to take the unit out of the OBDII port my battery would be dead in the airport parking deck when I returned. That was also with the shitty OEM battery, so the AGM that's in it now may be able to hold a charge a little longer.

I would prefer a manual toggle. I had looked for one when I bought these, but nobody had one. Now I'm going shopping again.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (12-29-2018)
Old 12-29-2018, 08:19 PM   #6
alex87f
Meow

Drives: GT86, Volvo 996
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post

You can't be sure of anything, but if it actually has a switch I would expect it to work. What brand/model is this?
It's an "ieGeek" adapater I found off of amazon. Not sure I'd recommend it though, or at least not yet. It was working fine for some time with OBDfusion but then the connection started getting unstable and would die every thirty seconds. Will have to check whether this is coming from the app or the adapter.
alex87f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:49 AM   #7
Qwimby1

Drives: 14 FRS Monogram, 05 Mazdasped Miata
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I haven't tested it in my FRS, but in my Miata the OBD would come out of sleep mode if I even touched the car, and that was without keyless ignition. I could tell by going in the garage at night. I could see it light up when it activated. For all I know, it might not be sleeping in the FRS because I drive it almost every day.
Qwimby1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, obd, obd2, obdii