follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 12-26-2012, 08:03 AM   #1
PrDarkKnight
Director of Awesome!! :)

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Supercharger question

What type of supercharger produces more power? roots, twin screw or centrifugal? i am looking for the best balance of power, drivavility and long term use! thanks! BTW did the search, just looking for some output.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PrDarkKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:23 AM   #2
djdnz

Drives: 2013 BRZ WRB S/C
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Here you go:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Supercharged-Testing-Installation-Supercharger-Systems/dp/0837601681"]Supercharged! Design, Testing and Installation of Supercharger Systems: Corky Bell: 9780837601687: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

Should answer your questions.
djdnz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djdnz For This Useful Post:
PrDarkKnight (12-26-2012)
Old 12-26-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
swift996

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
There's going to be a lot of controversy but for me I wan't instant boost and about 280whp. It sounds like it's something I can achieve out of a twin screw (Innovative Motorsports) and maintain max reliability/drivability. You can probably make more power up top with a centrifugal, but if I wanted more power, I'd go the turbo route. I want something reliable and minimal in parts, so I'm going with the twin screw set up.

swift996 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swift996 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2012, 11:57 AM   #4
PrDarkKnight

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by swift996 View Post
There's going to be a lot of controversy but for me I wan't instant boost and about 280whp. It sounds like it's something I can achieve out of a twin screw (Innovative Motorsports) and maintain max reliability/drivability. You can probably make more power up top with a centrifugal, but if I wanted more power, I'd go the turbo route. I want something reliable and minimal in parts, so I'm going with the twin screw set up.
My feelings exactly! I want to keep day to day comforts, after all it is my DD. Still, with the supercharger the power is more ready and instant than in a turbo set up and it will also help with the torque problem. Turbo lag is a bitch! I have an 05 Lancer ralliart with turbo and the lag is not that much since I went with a small turbo but you still feel it! thanks!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-26-2012, 12:05 PM   #5
swift996

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrDarkKnight View Post
My feelings exactly! I want to keep day to day comforts, after all it is my DD. Still, with the supercharger the power is more ready and instant than in a turbo set up and it will also help with the torque problem. Turbo lag is a bitch! I have an 05 Lancer ralliart with turbo and the lag is not that much since I went with a small turbo but you still feel it! thanks!
I'd recommend waiting to know more about the Innovative Motorsports kit (that's what I'm doing). The price sounds right, it bolts right on, and is simple in design. I personally will sacrifice some power for a beneficial driving experience and reliability. I enjoy handling and think that a nice +70hp - +100hp bump will make this car very exciting on backroads. Chances are you didn't buy it for power anyways. No knock for people who are planning on making more power but you're limited by the design of the car (clutch, trans, axle, not a lot of space for wide tires, etc). I just want to get the car around the straight-line performance of a low-mid 13 second quarter mile and with a ton of handling enhancements it's going to be a blast.

The twin screw will offer more day-to-day fun since when you step on the gas you get full boost right away. It's more direct in pluming and from my understanding can even help fuel economy when cruising. I've had many turbo cars in the past and they are fun but require a little more up keep and experience with them. My BRZ is my DD so I want reliability but obviously some more power! I think a twin screw kit will be a perfect match for the backroads in this car.

swift996 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swift996 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2012, 12:13 PM   #6
PrDarkKnight

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by swift996 View Post
I'd recommend waiting to know more about the Innovative Motorsports kit (that's what I'm doing). The price sounds right, it bolts right on, and is simple in design. I personally will sacrifice some power for a beneficial driving experience and reliability. I enjoy handling and think that a nice +70hp - +100hp bump will make this car very exciting on backroads. Chances are you didn't buy it for power anyways. No knock for people who are planning on making more power but you're limited by the design of the car (clutch, trans, axle, not a lot of space for wide tires, etc). I just want to get the car around the straight-line performance of a low-mid 13 second quarter mile and with a ton of handling enhancements it's going to be a blast.

The twin screw will offer more day-to-day fun since when you step on the gas you get full boost right away. It's more direct in pluming and from my understanding can even help fuel economy when cruising. I've had many turbo cars in the past and they are fun but require a little more up keep and experience with them. My BRZ is my DD so I want reliability but obviously some more power! I think a twin screw kit will be a perfect match for the backroads in this car.
We are pretty much in sync, thanks for the output!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-26-2012, 12:37 PM   #7
stockysnail
Just the tip

Drives: 2013 Lightning Red Subaru BRZ Mt Lt
Thanked 1,004 Times in 665 Posts
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrDarkKnight View Post
What type of supercharger produces more power? roots, twin screw or centrifugal? i am looking for the best balance of power, drivavility and long term use! thanks! BTW did the search, just looking for some output.
TVS (Twin Vortices Series) supercharger is what all the Lotus guys will say and since I was a Lotus guy I will say it too. It's basically a newer type of roots supercharger, so when someone says roots make sure they are talking TVS or not.
stockysnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:10 PM   #8
JDMenrique
DEEEERP

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Garage
I plan on getting Innovate's kit if the numbers are right, but unless you have a gaint turbo making 500+ hp the lag you guys speak of is non-existent. Just my .02
Old 12-26-2012, 01:39 PM   #9
PrDarkKnight

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMenrique View Post
I plan on getting Innovate's kit if the numbers are right, but unless you have a gaint turbo making 500+ hp the lag you guys speak of is non-existent. Just my .02
not enterily true, remember that until spooled your are dealing with what the motor already has. But with the frs I was just trying to correct the torque problem and be able to has that sudden burst or power superchargers have.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-26-2012, 01:49 PM   #10
Starscream15

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ - DGM
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Attached Images