follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 04-20-2013, 09:09 PM   #1
cfl4rat

Drives: ?
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sold my 1st born to join the BRZ crew....

Well not really but close enough, i've spent many years in the chopper scene. this was supposed to be my holy grail. i spent a little over 1yr building it, wont bore you with specs. but here she is. just sold it today
[IMG]
IMG_0681 by cfl4rat, on Flickr[/IMG]

OK enough about that, i work at the Subaru plant here in Indiana so that pushes my to pick the BRZ. my last RWD was a sprayed 99 cobra so it will take a few getting use to the low HP but cant wait!! not to mention the bike above weighed 408lbs and had 140hp 145tq out of a 127" motor

My big question is what the main diff. between the "limited" and "premium"?
also if you in my shoes would you buy one now or hold off till Oct. to see if they release a STI version?

no stranger to forums so i will use the search button but may have a dumb question from time to time till i learn all this new lingo:happy0180:
cfl4rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #2
russv
First 86

Drives: Scion FRS Argento Automatic
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Interesting bike but good move. Death wish gone?

Life is short...NO BORING CARS
russv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:16 PM   #3
kALMIGHTY
Banned

Drives: TRD Ultramarine '13
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Well I live in Canada, so the whole Limited vs Premium thing is a little different. (Ours are just the base BRZ, and BRZ Sport Tech). With the Premium (or Sport Tech), you get heated leather/alacantara seats, push button start, fog lights, spoiler. Everything else is the same. HIDs are common to both the trim levels of the BRZ.

As far as waiting till October goes, if you want to get in and enjoy breaking the car in during summer and get used to it before the winter comes, get it now. If you have another car that you can use and don't mind waiting till October or later to get one, and don't mind starting driving it in winter basically, then you should probably wait.

I'm in the same boat as you right now, I could get a 2013 FR-S now, or wait for the 2014 when it comes out in fall. I don't know how exactly Subaru works, but with Scion, you could order the 2014 parts you like and just have them installed into your 2013 model by the dealership, so I may just go that route. If Subaru does a similar thing, then get a 2013 and start driving it now.
kALMIGHTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:51 PM   #4
chaotichoax

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
limited: spoiler/heater leather/alacantara seats/push button start/ electronic HVCA controls...not sure if fogs are standard or optional
chaotichoax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:53 PM   #5
Silverdub
Boostin'

Drives: FRS-T
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfl4rat View Post
Well not really but close enough, i've spent many years in the chopper scene. this was supposed to be my holy grail. i spent a little over 1yr building it, wont bore you with specs. but here she is. just sold it today
[IMG]
IMG_0681 by cfl4rat, on Flickr[/IMG]

OK enough about that, i work at the Subaru plant here in Indiana so that pushes my to pick the BRZ. my last RWD was a sprayed 99 cobra so it will take a few getting use to the low HP but cant wait!! not to mention the bike above weighed 408lbs and had 140hp 145tq out of a 127" motor

My big question is what the main diff. between the "limited" and "premium"?
also if you in my shoes would you buy one now or hold off till Oct. to see if they release a STI version?

no stranger to forums so i will use the search button but may have a dumb question from time to time till i learn all this new lingo:happy0180:
i am not into choppers at all, im a sportbike guy but man that thing is hot as hell!!!!!

Silverdub is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Silverdub For This Useful Post:
AZOOZ_95 (04-22-2013)
Old 04-20-2013, 09:56 PM   #6
cfl4rat

got it thanks.. limited sounds like a good pick.. now i need to make my mind up between lighting red or pearl white. gonna poke around at work and see if i can get any info on a sti release date?...
Old 04-20-2013, 10:01 PM   #7
dmudry

Drives: WRB BRZ Spt Tch
if you work at a subaru factory shouldnt you know about the differences/if there is an STI version coming...
dmudry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:11 PM   #8
cfl4rat

we build the legacy, tribeca and outback. i work in stamping so i couldn't even tell ya the trim levels on what we build. Subaru is very tight lipped on everything, hell when we do model changes at our plant unless your on the try out teams you dont see shit till it enters pre production.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:11 PM   #9
Kelbyat07
Poor College Kid

Drives: ~.~
Thanked 2,182 Times in 1,249 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
If you can afford the STI version, then you should really wait.

Kelbyat07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:17 PM   #10
cfl4rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelbyat07 View Post
given the fact that there won't be a turbo under the hood what do you guys think the price jump will be on the sti? 3-4K maybe
Old 04-20-2013, 10:23 PM   #11
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelbyat07 View Post
i think it depends. if you are more of a hardcore enthusiast, i imagine you will be changing parts anyways. in that case buy it now as that money will probably take you farther in the aftermarket. if you are going to keep it stock and just want a little more or maybe have that complex where you have to have the best option and dont mind waiting indefinitely for something we dont really know anything about, sit tight
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:24 PM   #12
Kelbyat07
Poor College Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfl4rat View Post
given the fact that there won't be a turbo under the hood what do you guys think the price jump will be on the sti? 3-4K maybe
Probably. I would still wait for the STI.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:27 PM   #13
Kelbyat07
Poor College Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
i think it depends. if you are more of a hardcore enthusiast, i imagine you will be changing parts anyways. in that case buy it now as that money will probably take you farther in the aftermarket. if you are going to keep it stock and just want a little more or maybe have that complex where you have to have the best option and dont mind waiting indefinitely for something we dont really know anything about, sit tight

True. But it won't hurt to wait a little longer, as we will find out more about the STI. Don't want to make an early decision that will later turn into regret.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:28 PM   #14
cfl4rat

the only thing that makes me question weather or not to wait is "IF" the STI comes with a NA 240ishHP it would be worth the 3-4K, you'll spend that on the current model getting to those #'s

i can't lie though i do like the price of the current BRZ.. i'd hate to see the dealer mark up on a STI...