follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 12-23-2013, 07:03 AM   #1
Vincenttam
WtsTofu

Drives: Ultramarine fr-s
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I got some diode dynamic lighting for my car!!

Ok so i got some lighting for my car from diode dynamics. I wanna mod my car in a way so it's unnoticeable to the untrained eye. Meaning it'll look stalk unless you own a fr-s or know how it looks like. I started by getting a stage 3 blue light for my dome/map, a stage 3 license plate light, and stage 1 reverse light. I haven't installed the reverse light yet, maybe ill do it tomorrow. I've never really did much hands on work with cars to forgive me if i do something stupid in the future. =( Total for the 3 was 59.36 after liking them on fb. Shipping took 2 days and i ordered on a Thursday and it arrived on a Saturday.

First of off the dome/map light. It was pretty easy to install, took off the cover of the light with a butter knife lol. The install was quick and it's pretty bright. It cost 13.49. Only negative is the board you get is pretty small so it only illuminates one side of the car. The left side is the only part inside of the light with a flat surface to mount it on. I'm still trying to figure out how to center it or if i should buy another board.

Lastly i installed the license plate light (stage 3.) This one costs 11.99 and it came in a tiny zip lock bag that labeled lic. The install was even quicker however i think this is the one im least happy about. Yea it illuminates to the floor but i kind of want it to be a tad brighter. I dunno maybe just me, but when you order something that says (stage 3) you'd think it would be obnoxiously bright lol.

Alright i finally got my reverse lights up. The reverse lights(stage 1) feels more like an aesthetic thing. It looks bright as hell outside but inside it's just a little illuminated. Maybe I'll swap them for stage 2 or 3 in the future. For 29.99 This is really iffy. It's a bit too dim and i think 30ish would of been good for a stage 2. At the end of it, the back up lights are disappointing. Pretty dim, probably more dim than the stock from viewed inside. Bright as hell outside.

I bought some 6kk hids last night, can't wait for them to come. Almost done with my lights

Last edited by Vincenttam; 01-04-2014 at 11:13 PM.
Vincenttam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vincenttam For This Useful Post:
Diode Dynamics (12-23-2013)
Old 12-23-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
souleffecx

Drives: Scion FR-S Raven
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The blue interior light seems cool, but i feel like it may get annoying after awhile. As for your goal for looking not noticable to the untrained eye, im sure the blue interior light would definitely raise eyebrows. otherwise they are solid inexpensive upgrades that definitely improve the look of the car
souleffecx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:14 PM   #3
Ocean-Grown 86
It was fun

Drives: Dirty FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
For a clean stealthy night look you could also look into some led front switchback blinkers and clear side markers. They're a bit pricier though
Ocean-Grown 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ocean-Grown 86 For This Useful Post:
Vincenttam (12-25-2013)
Old 12-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
Vincenttam
WtsTofu

Thanks guys, i just installed my reverse lights stage 1 moments ago, took me awhile, was hard to take the bulbs out the first time, as specially since i left the diffuser on. Got a little cut but it's cool, will add photos when suns down and im off work.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:58 AM   #5
souleffecx

Drives: Scion FR-S Raven
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I just ordered my HID's and LED DRLS from diode. My car is pretty much LED'd out cept for rear turn signals which are the least of my worries.
souleffecx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to souleffecx For This Useful Post:
Diode Dynamics (12-24-2013)
Old 12-24-2013, 02:02 AM   #6
qijian

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
i had the same color for my dome light....hurt my eyes after awhile... forced myself to get rid of it for another color...
qijian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:47 AM   #7
Vincenttam
WtsTofu

Quote:
Originally Posted by qijian View Post
i had the same color for my dome light....hurt my eyes after awhile... forced myself to get rid of it for another color...
Unless I'm driving with my dome light on i dont think this will be a problem??????
The Following User Says Thank You to Vincenttam For This Useful Post:
Evil Jesus (12-27-2013)
Old 12-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #8
Diode Dynamics

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,761 Times in 877 Posts
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qijian View Post
If you'd like to exchange them for a different color, feel free to PM me with your order number.

Our warranty department is top notch and our biggest priority is making sure you are satisfied with your order

Nick C.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Diode Dynamics For This Useful Post:
ericmpena (12-26-2013), Evil Jesus (12-27-2013), mav1178 (12-24-2013), WilOTheWisp (01-06-2014)
Old 12-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #9
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics View Post
If you'd like to exchange them for a different color, feel free to PM me with your order number.

Our warranty department is top notch and our biggest priority is making sure you are satisfied with your order

Nick C.
No kidding... I ordered LED turn signals, discovered they weren't as bright as I thought, then returned it while only paying the difference in upgrade.

THEN: bought LED fog lights, got defective ones (one didn't light up another had odd bank of lights not lighting up), and everything was exchanged immediately.

Top notch indeed.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #10
Turbo95eg6

Drives: 2014 BRZ SWP LTD
Thanked 2,266 Times in 858 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Should've gone with white
Turbo95eg6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 03:44 AM   #11
Vincenttam
WtsTofu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean-Grown 86 View Post
For a clean stealthy night look you could also look into some led front switchback blinkers and clear side markers. They're a bit pricier though
Sounds good, might get these in the future. But i dont know the california laws on clear side markers.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:47 AM   #12
tbertran

Drives: Subaru BRZ (6027xx) Premium Manual
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenttam View Post
But i dont know the california laws on clear side markers.

Just get amber bulbs (even chrome ones so as not to show through the markers).
FT86SpeedFactory catted UEL Header / GReddy EVO3 Catback / Cosworth Drop-in air filter / Shifteck short throw shifter / Kartboy pulley / Rear bumper diffuser / Perrin shorty antenna / Raceseng Slammer knob / Carsmo armrest / Clear side markers / 10" CustomSubEnclosure|Rockford R500X1D|Rockford P3D4-10 / Perrin Inlet Hose / GrimmSpeed front strut bar / Valentine V1 with BlendMount / All LED Inside
tbertran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 03:52 AM   #13
Vincenttam
WtsTofu

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbertran View Post
Just get amber bulbs (even chrome ones so as not to show through the markers).
I just got off of a 8:30 hour shift at work on christmas eve watching all the last minute parents fighting over buying what to toy for their kid. I'm a bit stupid right now and you just solved my problem lol.
Old 12-25-2013, 04:08 AM   #14
tbertran

Drives: Subaru BRZ (6027xx) Premium Manual
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Went through that myself not too long ago (the amber bulbs, not the arguing parents, thank God...)

By the way, I went for incandescent for the markers (not sure why, when I've been going all LED crazy everywhere else) and it works quite well. A bit subdued, just the way I like my turn signals.
FT86SpeedFactory catted UEL Header / GReddy EVO3 Catback / Cosworth Drop-in air filter / Shifteck short throw shifter / Kartboy pulley / Rear bumper diffuser / Perrin shorty antenna / Raceseng Slammer knob / Carsmo armrest / Clear side markers / 10" CustomSubEnclosure|Rockford R500X1D|Rockford P3D4-10 / Perrin Inlet Hose / GrimmSpeed front strut bar / Valentine V1 with BlendMount / All LED Inside
tbertran is offline   Reply With Quote