follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 08-05-2014, 02:53 PM   #1
Simon99

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited WRB
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Red face Is there a need for 400$ lower control arms ?

Planning to drop my car on Prokit and wanted to gets some LCA's and camber bolts to adjust everything when it's done, might aswell go for it while everything is on the jack being worked on. After looking around, I've seen LCAs go for a huge range. SPC seems to be sold for a reasonnable 200$, Buddy Club look to be the next option at 400$ and then you have Agency Power that go for like 650$...

What's the real deal with all this. Is it the coating ? The brand ? The adjustability ? The JDMness ?

What justify the 200$ upgrade for the Buddy Club in such a situation ?

Because in my opinion, especially on a lowered car, lower control arms couldn't even be seen unless you're laying down on the pavement.

Side question
: Is there an advantage to Whiteline camber bolts over OEM crash bolts ?
This car has allowed car enthusiasts to come from all different walks of life, car cultures, and brands. Just as a panda is black, white, and Asian; the 86 is Toyota, Subaru, and downright fucking sexy.
Simon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:56 PM   #2
kALMIGHTY
Banned

Drives: TRD Ultramarine '13
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
I just dropped my car on TRD springs, which are rebranded Prokits and no, you don't need LCA's for a 1 inch drop that these springs give. Just get an alignment and everything should be back to optimal specs without any camber bolts or LCA's.
kALMIGHTY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kALMIGHTY For This Useful Post:
SkAsphalt (08-06-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 02:58 PM   #3
jvincent

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ Sport-Tech
Thanked 1,410 Times in 715 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I remember seeing here some posts that questioned the durability of SPC stuff, especially if you are going to track it. We have the extra worry about winter.

Regarding camber bolts, unless you want to run bolts in both upper and lower holes to get more camber, then probably not.
jvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:19 PM   #4
Simon99

Quote:
Originally Posted by kALMIGHTY View Post
I just dropped my car on TRD springs, which are rebranded Prokits and no, you don't need LCA's for a 1 inch drop that these springs give. Just get an alignment and everything should be back to optimal specs without any camber bolts or LCA's.
I mean for the price of oem crash bolts might aswell get them but yeah wondering if LCAs are needed for my rear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
I remember seeing here some posts that questioned the durability of SPC stuff, especially if you are going to track it. We have the extra worry about winter.

Regarding camber bolts, unless you want to run bolts in both upper and lower holes to get more camber, then probably not.
I am indeed lightly tracking it (so far) but I am not taking it out during the winter time so I am not really afraid of the rust. I was just really wondering why there was such a big margins in products realizing a similar goal
This car has allowed car enthusiasts to come from all different walks of life, car cultures, and brands. Just as a panda is black, white, and Asian; the 86 is Toyota, Subaru, and downright fucking sexy.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:24 PM   #5
Griever423

Drives: 2020 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon99 View Post
I mean for the price of oem crash bolts might aswell get them but yeah wondering if LCAs are needed for my rear

I am indeed lightly tracking it (so far) but I am not taking it out during the winter time so I am not really afraid of the rust. I was just really wondering why there was such a big margins in products realizing a similar goal
There is usually a difference when it comes to build quality and customer service with bigger name brands. There are; however, always exceptions to the rule.
Griever423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:26 PM   #6
Simon99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griever423 View Post
There is usually a difference when it comes to build quality and customer service with bigger name brands. There are; however, always exceptions to the rule.
I agree with that, and I though buddy club were designing quality parta, hence why I wonder why they are priced so low compared to other brands..
Old 08-05-2014, 03:29 PM   #7
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,352 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kALMIGHTY View Post
How are you adjusting camber back to factory spec without camber bolts or LCA's? There is no camber adjustment stock, at all.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:33 PM   #8
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,181 Times in 6,837 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
SPC LCAs are normally priced per arm, not as a pair.

The question you should be asking, is it worth going from a $400 SPC/Buddy Club set to a $600 Cusco/SPL set.

Our opinion is that you're better off getting a high grade component for a rather critical component of your rear suspension. We've seen enough SPC and Buddy Club failures where we cannot recommend the brands as a whole.

OEM Crash bolts are cheaper. Whiteline camber bolts are just SPC bolts in a Whiteline bag.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
DustinS (09-11-2015), Simon99 (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 03:40 PM   #9
Griever423

Drives: 2020 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'd go with SPL myself personally. There are guys running those and a simple entry level coilover around here locally and they are putting down smoking times at the track.
Griever423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:18 PM   #10
Simon99

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
SPC LCAs are normally priced per arm, not as a pair.

The question you should be asking, is it worth going from a $400 SPC/Buddy Club set to a $600 Cusco/SPL set.

Our opinion is that you're better off getting a high grade component for a rather critical component of your rear suspension. We've seen enough SPC and Buddy Club failures where we cannot recommend the brands as a whole.

OEM Crash bolts are cheaper. Whiteline camber bolts are just SPC bolts in a Whiteline bag.
Which one would you recommend for light tracking and daily driving on rough roads full of potholes ?
Old 08-05-2014, 04:40 PM   #11
BRZZZZZZZZZZ
Car Nut

Drives: BMW 335d, Toyota Echo RS, FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvincent View Post

Ive had SPC arms for nearly 10000km now including 6 auto x days and 2 lapping days with no issues or slippage.
BRZZZZZZZZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:26 PM   #12
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZZZZZZZZZZ View Post
Ive had SPC arms for nearly 10000km now including 6 auto x days and 2 lapping days with no issues or slippage.
You won't get slippage. You *probably* won't have any issues, but if you do, it'll be a catastrophic one. We've had enough customers have them that we will not sell SPC arms anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon99 View Post
Which one would you recommend for light tracking and daily driving on rough roads full of potholes ?
SPL.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (02-28-2015)
Old 08-05-2014, 07:32 PM   #13
themajesticone

Drives: '13 UM86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
You won't get slippage. You *probably* won't have any issues, but if you do, it'll be a catastrophic one. We've had enough customers have them that we will not sell SPC arms anymore.

SPL.
In that case, this package: http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/ft-8...-rce-1082.html is not even worth including the SPC's? What LCA would you recommend? or would it be fine to stick with stock even for track use?
themajesticone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:35 PM   #14
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by themajesticone View Post
In that case, this package: http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/ft-8...-rce-1082.html is not even worth including the SPC's? What LCA would you recommend? or would it be fine to stick with stock even for track use?
We recommend the SPL.

Stock will not fail, but it also has no camber adjustment.

SPL part next to a failed SPC part on one of our sponsored driver's cars.

The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
themajesticone (08-05-2014)