follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southwest

Southwest AZ, NM, NV, OK, TX, UT

User Tag List

Old 09-18-2014, 02:58 PM   #1
NNJA2

Drives: 2013 White FRS Daily driver
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
New to the Community. I live in Frisco

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to the community and here to learn more about the platform. i recently bought a 2013 white FRS in auto because my wife made me, i wanted a stick but she said no cuz she doesnt want me modding this car, and she cant drive a stick,but i can't help it!!!!! I needed a daily driver as my normal car is in the shop under construction getting a built motor and trans and will be down for while. My wife fell in love with the FRS after seeing it on a commercial and here we are. i am not new to modding but i am new to this platform and dont know much about boxer motors or this motor to be specific. So of course i am here to learn and have a little bit of fun doing it as well wanting to see what all of you have done to this car. Cheers!

Vu
NNJA2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 04:16 PM   #2
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNJA2 View Post
Hi Everyone!

I'm new to the community and here to learn more about the platform. i recently bought a 2013 white FRS in auto because my wife made me, i wanted a stick but she said no cuz she doesnt want me modding this car, and she cant drive a stick,but i can't help it!!!!! I needed a daily driver as my normal car is in the shop under construction getting a built motor and trans and will be down for while. My wife fell in love with the FRS after seeing it on a commercial and here we are. i am not new to modding but i am new to this platform and dont know much about boxer motors or this motor to be specific. So of course i am here to learn and have a little bit of fun doing it as well wanting to see what all of you have done to this car. Cheers!

Vu
Welcome to the community.

You have a lot of searching to do when it comes to mods. Take a lot of time and read through a bunch of threads and you will find a wealthy amount of information. The possibility of mods is endless for this car and the aftermarket is huge. The one advantage you have is coming into the game this late, you can find some of the best builds and mods for your car.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 04:22 PM   #3
NNJA2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Matt View Post
Welcome to the community.

You have a lot of searching to do when it comes to mods. Take a lot of time and read through a bunch of threads and you will find a wealthy amount of information. The possibility of mods is endless for this car and the aftermarket is huge. The one advantage you have is coming into the game this late, you can find some of the best builds and mods for your car.
Cool Thanks! gonna keep it really mild though as this car is going to be my daily driver. I like the gas mileage i get in the car and want to keep the warranty as well. so mostly just intake, Exhaust, and wheels. i've read so far that you can do up to 18x8.5 and 18x9.5 on this car with stock suspension with no issues? enkei's i believe.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:27 PM   #4
FR-S Matt
Banned

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNJA2 View Post
Cool Thanks! gonna keep it really mild though as this car is going to be my daily driver. I like the gas mileage i get in the car and want to keep the warranty as well. so mostly just intake, Exhaust, and wheels. i've read so far that you can do up to 18x8.5 and 18x9.5 on this car with stock suspension with no issues? enkei's i believe.
I've run 18X9.5 square on stock suspension. It's pretty close up front, but will work. I'm on coilovers now. Intake exhaust won't do too much without a tune and the header.

You're better off using a drop in filter as the stock intake is pretty good. Save your money there. Exhaust, you can pick your flavor, but fair warning, if you plan on getting a header and front pipe, make sure you realize the sound level you will introduce.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:36 PM   #5
NNJA2

Quote:
I've run 18X9.5 square on stock suspension. It's pretty close up front, but will work. I'm on coilovers now. Intake exhaust won't do too much without a tune and the header.

You're better off using a drop in filter as the stock intake is pretty good. Save your money there. Exhaust, you can pick your flavor, but fair warning, if you plan on getting a header and front pipe, make sure you realize the sound level you will introduce.
No worries I'm not concerned with the power gains. Just the ride/look and the mpgs and sound. It's my daily. If I want speed I will jump into my other car. But man 9.5 square setup is is tight fitment.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:00 AM   #6
pleong

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
welcome!

btw.. you can still get a lot of power out of the auto lol *hint hint*

with 9.5 fitment is fine, just depending on how low you want to go and the tire size you want to run. i run a square setup as well 18x9.5 +38
pleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:03 AM   #7
FR-S Matt
Banned

Garage
245's were a tight fit. I don't think you can go 255's without getting spacers up front. Once these tires are worn, I'll be going 255/35 squared for a nice fit.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:28 AM   #8
pleong

Quote:
245's were a tight fit. I don't think you can go 255's without getting spacers up front. Once these tires are worn, I'll be going 255/35 squared for a nice fit.
I was actually able to fit 265s squared. With the right camber and right height, it can be done and if you're ok with rubbing out a tab or two on your bumper..

I decided to go with 255s after rubbing out some tabs, now I have no issues.. But was when I was pretty low, no gap..

Now that I'm corner balanced, I think I would be able to run 265s in the rear.. But I just sold those and both these sizes are hard to find in R-S3s, which they don't make anymore anyways...
Old 09-19-2014, 08:34 AM   #9
FR-S Matt
Banned

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pleong View Post
I was actually able to fit 265s squared. With the right camber and right height, it can be done and if you're ok with rubbing out a tab or two on your bumper..

I decided to go with 255s after rubbing out some tabs, now I have no issues.. But was when I was pretty low, no gap..

Now that I'm corner balanced, I think I would be able to run 265s in the rear.. But I just sold those and both these sizes are hard to find in R-S3s, which they don't make anymore anyways...
That was on stock suspension? Coilovers I know it will fit no problem.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:36 AM   #10
pleong

Quote:
That was on stock suspension? Coilovers I know it will fit no problem.
No this was on KWV3s

I guess it depends on which 265s you run since they all are different section widths, but I know on my R-S3s they rub the rear bumper with -2.5 camber in the back with no wheel gap
Old 09-19-2014, 08:41 AM   #11
FR-S Matt
Banned

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pleong View Post
No this was on KWV3s

I guess it depends on which 265s you run since they all are different section widths, but I know on my R-S3s they rub the rear bumper with -2.5 camber in the back with no wheel gap
Ah, good to know. I'm only running about -1.5 camber in the rear and -2 in front. Just enough to keep it tucked with a 1.5 inch drop, but my 245's show just a little bit of the lip on my 18X9.5's. 255's should cover the whole wheel and have 0 stretch. I'm on KW V3's.

Continental DW's have an insane amount of tread though. I don't think I can wear these tires down fast at all unless I drive like an idiot.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:12 AM   #12
pleong

Quote:
Ah, good to know. I'm only running about -1.5 camber in the rear and -2 in front. Just enough to keep it tucked with a 1.5 inch drop, but my 245's show just a little bit of the lip on my 18X9.5's. 255's should cover the whole wheel and have 0 stretch. I'm on KW V3's.

Continental DW's have an insane amount of tread though. I don't think I can wear these tires down fast at all unless I drive like an idiot.
yeah with a 340 rating it'll last quite awhile.. the r-s3's are only 140

I have another set of R888's that's only 100 lol
Old 09-19-2014, 09:53 AM   #13
MokSpeed
Granny Shifter

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Thanked 1,289 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Yea you can run that setup on the car with stock suspension. Once you break it in I'd recommend having a little fun with it completely stock first. That way you'll know what all the hype surrounding this car is about. Also congrats on your purchase and welcome!
MokSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:25 AM   #14
NNJA2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MokSpeed View Post
Yea you can run that setup on the car with stock suspension. Once you break it in I'd recommend having a little fun with it completely stock first. That way you'll know what all the hype surrounding this car is about. Also congrats on your purchase and welcome!
Thanks! My first impression driving the car was it was so so slow! Lol but the more I drove the car and whipped it around the more I fell in love with it. Again I bought it for daily use. But now I wanna mod it, but I have to be disciplined and not void the warranty. As my wife said its my daily and you all probably know the saying happy wife happy life. This car is fun to drive, just slow.