follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 01-20-2015, 06:12 PM   #1
2much
I wanna go fast

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
OFT - flashing back to stock for dealership work

Hi all,
I am taking my 86 into the dealership today because I've discovered some heavy oil leakage, sourced either from the valve covers or timing cover. I expect this to be warranty covered, so naturally as a precaution I've re-flashed the oem ecu ROM.

However, the car is still in dead-pedal mode. Much more throttle input is needed to move the car anywhere, from what I understand the car is training itself all over again.

My question is, if the pedal is still less than responsive upon delivering the car to the dealership, can that get in some sort of trouble regarding warranty?
2much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:35 PM   #2
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2much View Post
Hi all,
I am taking my 86 into the dealership today because I've discovered some heavy oil leakage, sourced either from the valve covers or timing cover. I expect this to be warranty covered, so naturally as a precaution I've re-flashed the oem ecu ROM.

However, the car is still in dead-pedal mode. Much more throttle input is needed to move the car anywhere, from what I understand the car is training itself all over again.

My question is, if the pedal is still less than responsive upon delivering the car to the dealership, can that get in some sort of trouble regarding warranty?
I don't think you have anything to worry about with regard to dead pedal. As far as the dealership is concerned you could have just easily induced that by disconnecting the battery momentarily. Our car also had an oil leak from the passenger side valve cover. There is a plate that is poorly sealed from the factory that tends to leak over time. And the drop of oil land right on the overpipe causing a burning oil smell. Fortunately, it's an inexpensive and easy fix to replace and reseal it. Assuming that is your problem of course.
Shiv@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shiv@Openflash For This Useful Post:
2much (01-20-2015)
Old 01-20-2015, 06:42 PM   #3
2much
I wanna go fast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv@Openflash View Post
I don't think you have anything to worry about with regard to dead pedal. As far as the dealership is concerned you could have just easily induced that by disconnecting the battery momentarily. Our car also had an oil leak from the passenger side valve cover. There is a plate that is poorly sealed from the factory that tends to leak over time. And the drop of oil land right on the overpipe causing a burning oil smell. Fortunately, it's an inexpensive and easy fix to replace and reseal it. Assuming that is your problem of course.
we shall see exactly what they diagnose. thanks for the input!
Old 01-20-2015, 07:17 PM   #4
Tromatic
Banned

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 1,728 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
I went in for a few transmission CEL in November with the OFT ROM. They had to drag out the fancy data tool to diagnose the CEL, nobody said a word about the ROM. YMMV!
Tromatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:03 PM   #5
2much
I wanna go fast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tromatic View Post
I went in for a few transmission CEL in November with the OFT ROM. They had to drag out the fancy data tool to diagnose the CEL, nobody said a word about the ROM. YMMV!
I have taken it in with the oft rom applied before, and they didnt care. I believe it was tuned when I got my full service and fuel pump replaced. didn't want to take a chance this time though.

I got a Corolla loaner car... its so depressing. But on the bright side I already appreciate and miss my 86 more.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:57 PM   #6
Toyota John
Calle Atun

Drives: 13 FRS, 93 Mr2, 85 ae86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I got Techstream to work tonight. I have an ecutek tune on my car right now. I don't now if I have the full version but everything I tried to do it seemed to work. It read the cal id B01C with the ecutek tune. I would guess that would be as far as the techs would get? With open source I am almost 100% positive then wouldn't know with out detailed logging that it is on there. And they would still have to know what the stock parameters for the car should be. Pretty sure they would need to be an frs expert to know.
Toyota John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:52 PM   #7
Error

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv@Openflash View Post
Although I haven't purchased the OFT + OFH yet, I'm planning on getting it soon. Quick question regarding the dead pedal though, recently took my car out of winter storage and reconnected battery. Currently experiencing dead pedal spot, really annoying cause it throws off the clutch throttle blend. Any idea how long it takes for it to relearn?
Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:46 AM   #8
2much
I wanna go fast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Error View Post
Although I haven't purchased the OFT + OFH yet, I'm planning on getting it soon. Quick question regarding the dead pedal though, recently took my car out of winter storage and reconnected battery. Currently experiencing dead pedal spot, really annoying cause it throws off the clutch throttle blend. Any idea how long it takes for it to relearn?
usually about 50 miles or so. for me a day or two. drive the car smoothly for quicker results.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2much For This Useful Post:
Error (01-21-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 12:59 PM   #9
Jyn
Noob

Drives: FR-S Mammogram
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Error View Post
Pump the gas pedal in ACC and then full electronics 4-5 times. I've reset my battery a lot and it seems to help. I do kinda slow pumps, but I'm not sure if the speed makes a difference.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:13 PM   #10
Error

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2much View Post
usually about 50 miles or so. for me a day or two. drive the car smoothly for quicker results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
Pump the gas pedal in ACC and then full electronics 4-5 times. I've reset my battery a lot and it seems to help. I do kinda slow pumps, but I'm not sure if the speed makes a difference.
Thanks for the tips, I'll try out the gas pedal pump trick. Before if I breathed on the throttle it would rev.
Error is offline   Reply With Quote