follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-24-2015, 02:21 PM   #1
geruta

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Toyota Techstream Confusion

It’s been well known for a few years now that the Toyota Techstream software exists and allows both FR-S and BRZ owners to modify some settings on their ECU. But after recently purchasing one and using it, I read through some of the older posts and noticed that there was a lot of confusion about Lite version vs Full version, being able to reprogram or not, and weather you can or can’t reprogram your TPMS ID’s. So ultimately, I’d like to go ahead and clear up what confusion might still exist with this software.

Here are some great links to venture into if you never heard of the software before.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34502
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...ht=tech+stream

To recap what again, most of you already know. Toyota Techstream is software released by Toyota that lets you modify certain settings on your vehicle. It works for both FR-S and BRZ cars. I believe that this is due to the fact that the ECU for both cars was made by Toyota. I can only guess this but my suspicion leads me to believe it considering the BRZ has the exact same lock and unlock chime as every other Toyota out there and that it’s also 100% compatible with the Toyota software.

Most users of this forum would access this software by wondering onto eBay and purchasing a cheap Chinese knock-off of the cable used by Techstream. This cable is usually bundled with a version of the software, although there’s a good chance that you will find a more updated version on Torrent sites.

Here is where gets is confusing for some. In order to use the software with Chinese knock-off cable, you have to edit an ini file after install. The file is named “IT3System.ini” and it resides in the “Program Files\Toyota Diagnostics\Techstream\Env\” directory. The specific line of that file you have to edit is “TISFunction = 0”.

Essentially what you are doing is changing the value from a 1 to a 0. This disables the TIS Function. But what is the TIS function?

Toyota Techstream is sold in two “flavors”.

Full Version: The first is the Full TIS Techstream package which is essentially Toyota selling you a Laptop with the Techstream software preloaded and a special cable.

Lite Version: The other flavor is Techstream Lite. Techstream Lite is where you supply your own laptop and buy their special cable, and software, and you’re good to go. Their cable is very expensive, that’s why most users here would just have gone on eBay to buy it instead, essentially getting Techstream Lite to function on their computer for way less than the official route.

So getting back to the confusion about the Full version vs. the Lite version. Well in the end, there’s essentially no difference between the two except one is a laptop package, and the other is a “bring your own laptop” package. That, and also that the Lite version doesn’t support vehicles before 1989. Last time I checked, most of us could care less about that short coming considering all our vehicles were made well after that. I’ve attached a table for reference if you would like to see the actual differences compared between both Full and Lite versions of Techstream.

What is ultimately means is that you can do everything you wanted to do with Techstream using the Lite version. So anyone who argues and says that the Lite version will only let you view info, is fortunately wrong.

As for reprogramming TPMS IDs, it seems that the Toyota software has every intention to allow you to do this. But from what I can gather online, its just not possible. The only reason I can think for this is the knock-off cable doesn’t support this feature. If anyone else can confirm this that would be great.

I hope this information was useful to some of you, and if you’d like me to try something with the software that wasn’t done before, let me know and I’ll see what I can do.
Attached Images

geruta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to geruta For This Useful Post:
b rawr z (02-26-2015), ChrisD (08-05-2015), dkdnt232 (06-16-2020)
Old 02-26-2015, 09:48 AM   #2
b rawr z

Drives: 2014 BRZ, 2008 Impreza
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
ill try this later. i tried installing it before and i think the driver was not working right but when my friend tried it on his laptop it worked.
b rawr z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:41 AM   #3
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
@geruta (for some reason cannot 'quote' your post) -
"Most users of this forum would access this software by wondering onto eBay and purchasing a cheap Chinese knock-off of the cable used by Techstream. This cable is usually bundled with a version of the software, although there’s a good chance that you will find a more updated version on Torrent sites."

If you get a disk with techstream from ANY purchase on ebay DO NOT PUT IT IN YOUR COMPUTER!!!
Shred/Destroy the disk immediately.
The one I got with my ELM327 was filled with Malware, viruses, & trojans.
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stugray For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (02-27-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 11:53 PM   #4
briantran123

Drives: fire storm frs 6mt
used a master techs techstream today, didnt mess with it because its not mine. just read some codes and such to see what was wrong.
briantran123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:27 AM   #5
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stugray View Post
The one I got with my ELM327 was filled with Malware, viruses, & trojans.
THIS!!!!

I have two elm 327 bluetooth units personally. Bear in mind I am a computer savvy person. One off amazon (BAFX unit) the other off ebay (one of those slim blue units). Both came with the exact same suspicious looking and I mean exactly the same each with a little panda logo on them. I sand boxed my CD drive and ran them to see why all the amazon reviewers complained about the software, and scanned the drives both CDs had an instance of a PUP.Trojan and Win32.Cryptor essentially designed to steal data and slowdown your computer.

Honestly the software they are "including" might be trying to be some sort of interface for reading the codes and such but personally I use Carista on my phone for something as simple as that and adjusting the DRLS and stuff and wouldn't need something as stupid as an included software . But for Tech Stream to get them to work unless its a usb elm 327 you shouldn't need drivers as long as you have a laptop with bluetooth module and such:

http://www.iobd2.org/install-elm327-...anner-windows/

http://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/s...ner-on-windows
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:04 AM   #6
geruta

Drives: 2013 BRZ
For those of you concerned with malware on the eBay discs, just download off torrentz. Personally, I used the disc supplied with the cable off ebay and cannot attest to any malware nonsense.

My life's work is with computers, not cars. I just work on them for the fun of it.

If you've ever downloaded any applications off the net, know that anti-virus/anti-spyware/anti-malware applications will report that many of times, executable applications are malicious or trying to corrupt/steal your data, etc, etc.

You have to understand how an AV program scans an executable and determines if it is malicious or not prior to it even opening. It uses "signatures" to track an application. AV vendors cant possibly run and understand every .exe in exsistance and build a completely full-proof database against it. Honestly, in my experience, AV doesn't work. Its effort to try and alert you to potentially malicious software is a shot in the dark at best, just a complete guess. Ive been running anti-virus free for years, because I know what and what not to get into or download.

In short, the disc worked fine. But again, if you are concerned, just download off of torentz. And as far as AV in concerned, the best anti-virus is common sense.
geruta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to geruta For This Useful Post:
stugray (02-28-2015)
Old 02-28-2015, 01:03 PM   #7
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geruta View Post
For those of you concerned with malware on the eBay discs, just download off torrentz. Personally, I used the disc supplied with the cable off ebay and cannot attest to any malware nonsense.

My life's work is with computers, not cars. I just work on them for the fun of it.

If you've ever downloaded any applications off the net, know that anti-virus/anti-spyware/anti-malware applications will report that many of times, executable applications are malicious or trying to corrupt/steal your data, etc, etc.

You have to understand how an AV program scans an executable and determines if it is malicious or not prior to it even opening. It uses "signatures" to track an application. AV vendors cant possibly run and understand every .exe in exsistance and build a completely full-proof database against it. Honestly, in my experience, AV doesn't work. Its effort to try and alert you to potentially malicious software is a shot in the dark at best, just a complete guess. Ive been running anti-virus free for years, because I know what and what not to get into or download.

In short, the disc worked fine. But again, if you are concerned, just download off of torentz. And as far as AV in concerned, the best anti-virus is common sense.
The disk I got was 100%, undoubtedly, no-question, infected with more than one kind of Malware. It was NOT a false positive from the AV software.
If you think about it, it is a perfect way to spread viruses/trojans - sell a product (globally) cheaper than the competition (even if it is at a loss), then make your $$ of off selling stolen information from the 10% that get infected.

OH - And the "just download off torrentz" I have also gotten my fair share of viruses from downloading illegal software from torrent sites.
I even believe that companies like Autodesk or Photoshop spread infected versions of their software on the torrent sites to punish those that would attempt to pirate their software.
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 01:44 AM   #8
Liliflower

Drives: 2008 FT86 GTS
I had the known-off techstream cable mini vci. The sellers has released the new Ver. 10.30.029, software on mega.co.nz without Trojaner http://blog.obd365.com/2016/01/14/to...free-download/
Liliflower is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Liliflower For This Useful Post:
zc06_kisstherain (02-24-2016)
Old 01-16-2016, 09:03 PM   #9
Chanpion

Drives: 13 FRS Satin
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
THIS!!!!

I have two elm 327 bluetooth units personally. Bear in mind I am a computer savvy person. One off amazon (BAFX unit) the other off ebay (one of those slim blue units). Both came with the exact same suspicious looking and I mean exactly the same each with a little panda logo on them.
To save you a bit of trouble, I don't believe Technstream works with ELM327. I believe you need that J324 something ish connector for communication between your car and tech stream. ELM will work for the common OBD stuffs though.
Chanpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:18 PM   #10
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanpion View Post
To save you a bit of trouble, I don't believe Technstream works with ELM327. I believe you need that J324 something ish connector for communication between your car and tech stream. ELM will work for the common OBD stuffs though.

Already have a cable for tech stream separately
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 05:04 PM   #11
BabaYaga

Drives: FRawSome Hot Lava
Garage
Does anyone in Sacramento North CA area or Bay Aria have TechStream? I just need to silence the passenger seat belt buzzer. Can anyone help? Let me know, please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2016, 05:07 PM   #12
Bach415

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaYaga View Post
Does anyone in Sacramento North CA area or Bay Aria have TechStream? I just need to silence the passenger seat belt buzzer. Can anyone help? Let me know, please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can actually go to Toyota dealership and have them disable it.
Bach415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:36 AM   #13
BabaYaga

Drives: FRawSome Hot Lava
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bach415 View Post
You can actually go to Toyota dealership and have them disable it.
I end up buying the cable from aliexpress - installed the app on my comp - did couple of twiks in the the process and successfully updated all Customizable settings in both my toyotas: Camry Hybrid and FR-S.
Made the sound of locking car more loud (with 3 pushed on remote lock button car makes 2 loud buzzes and one horn beep).
Changed to open trunk with 2 quick clicks on remote.
Silenced the front occupant seat alarm (decided not to silence driver side).
DRL decided not to turn off - but turned it off on Camry.
On Camry change the settings of open/close doors - now with long push on open button - window is rolling down.
Also, when driver door get unlock via remote access - all doors got unlocked.

Anyway, I like it and if anyone needs help in Sacramento area - shoot me PM, we might meet and I can customize your GT-86.