follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 01:42 AM   #1
lajlijthoj

Drives: 2002 Celica GT-2gr in the making
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Mr. Toyoda is great, but...

Mr. Toyoda who I THINK is ceo of Toyota not really sure and don't really care but I want to sure my thoughts on this site because I solely joined this site for this reason. Starting with the FT-86 and ending with the concept mr2 hybrid which I'm not sure if they're still considering.

The plans Toyota has for the FT 86 is good but it could've been great!! I know tying up ends with other companies is a great idea because of hardships to auto companies now-a-days but really they did not need to use Subaru's 2.0 boxer engine for the 86, which I'm assuming is either the ej22 or ej25, don't know because haven't done enough research. If they really wanted to keep the spirit of the AE86 they should've used an all motor car and compete with a civic which has always been it's rivals since time. And the motor which possibly could've went in instead of the boxer 2.0 is the Lexus's which is Toyota, motor, the 2gr-fse. It's a v6 and makes about around 250-300 not sure, someone confirm this. And then there's an option of always going turbo for whomever wants to play with it, but I'd say if it IS suppose to be lightweight I'm assuming about 2000-2500 to keep intact with the 7th gen celica and the 2gr-fse would be more than enough to get it moving. And it would compete with the new Civic's k20's which are making a lot of hp for all motor cars now, because the 2gr-fse weighs about as much as a k20a2 roughly 380lbs? But I believe k20 is heavier, these numbers are close I know but not exact, again someone confirm if possible. The boxer 2.0 would be more maintence in long run too compared to 2gr which is normally a camry motor, only difference between is350 and camry is the extra letter engine code, 2gr-fse and 2gr-fe.

And another thought of why Mr. Toyoda is great, but... could be God.
There were also rumors(old,new) of a new mr2 spyder hybrid sports concept. Exactly what I posted on this video:
Here's a great idea for those Toyota creaters. Use MR2 Spyder platform, redesign the body a little and keep true to light weight concept then throw in the camry's 2gr-fe v6 with a newer ECU and keep pricet tag under 25k and there's a seller. Who wouldn't want to buy that. That's basically a cheap Lotus Evora but lighter because of the 2 seats and convertible.
And if they want to keep the dumb hybrid idea and copy Honda's CR-Z the camry's v6 2gr-fe is perfect for it still because it comes in hybrid version too. Silly Mr. Toyoda, forgets about what he makes is already good.

Video to the MR2 hybrid concept
Old 01-26-2011, 01:50 AM   #2
lajlijthoj

Drives: 2002 Celica GT-2gr in the making
Just researched and the 2gr-fse from the Lexus IS350 is 306 hp and goes 0-60 in less than 6 seconds. That's with the heavy luxury IS350 body. And 300hp isn't that what the 2.0 boxer turbo is doing? I know the 2gr-fse is 3.5 but it is a v6 and keeps the all motor part at least. Not the high end but all motor is more reliable in the long run. And the lexus is most luxurious IS350 is only 30k lowest trim, that means the FT86 would still stay in range of 20k.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:42 AM   #3
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
omfg, where to even start with this mess...

Because titanium.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:10 AM   #4
70NYD

Drives: RX8 S1
Wow... Go and hang your self.. Or do some research before blurting crap out. Really.. Your embarrassing me cus were the same species..
Old 01-26-2011, 05:54 AM   #5
4agze

Drives: Toyota Corolla SR5
Garage
You watch toooo much initial d kid, This is how ignorant you sound
Quote:
If they really wanted to keep the spirit of the AE86 they should've used an all motor car and compete with a civic which has always been it's rivals since time.
since when? When you watched initial d vs EG6, look kid i know your new on this forum but pls pls read more,You sound like another guy in this forum who wants a V6 on his FT86. Tell me on what you learned & read about AE86 why this FT86 deserves a V6 vs a flat 4?
Old 01-26-2011, 08:02 AM   #6
Calais

Drives: 2012 BRZ....finally
Garage
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2011, 08:13 AM   #7
KiingDavid

Drives: Lexus IS 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70NYD View Post
Wow... Go and hang your self.. Or do some research before blurting crap out. Really.. Your embarrassing me cus were the same species..
ouch...

anyway lajlijthoj i understand where ure coming from. the heart of the ft86 is a subaru and u want toyota to keep the heart a toyota. but then u got carried away with wrong presumptions.
1. who says the ft will use the ej or even have a turbo?
2. theres nothing 86 about a v6 pushing 300hp (thats more suited for a next gen supra?)
3. in the early-mid 80s when the ae86 was released, civics were nothing. theyre little more than nothing now but the prospective market for each cars are gonna be different.
4. the mr-s hybrid is nothing more than the mr-2 with an engine swap with some visual upgrades.
5. contradicing urself now. the spirit of the ae86 to be ft86. and then u start talking about evoras and mr-s. abosolutely nothing 86 about MR layouts

Subaru make great engines and toyota is just great. so why not put them together.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:35 PM   #8
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiingDavid View Post
ouch...

anyway lajlijthoj i understand where ure coming from. the heart of the ft86 is a subaru and u want toyota to keep the heart a toyota. but then u got carried away with wrong presumptions.
1. who says the ft will use the ej or even have a turbo?
2. theres nothing 86 about a v6 pushing 300hp (thats more suited for a next gen supra?)
3. in the early-mid 80s when the ae86 was released, civics were nothing. theyre little more than nothing now but the prospective market for each cars are gonna be different.
4. the mr-s hybrid is nothing more than the mr-2 with an engine swap with some visual upgrades.
5. contradicing urself now. the spirit of the ae86 to be ft86. and then u start talking about evoras and mr-s. abosolutely nothing 86 about MR layouts

Subaru make great engines and toyota is just great. so why not put them together.
True that.
It's nice to see Toyota bring back the spirit of AE86, but I want to see them making the car awesome so that they don't have to stop the production on the first run. What is wrong with boxer engine when everything inside is still Toyota?
Old 01-26-2011, 05:08 PM   #9
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
True that.
It's nice to see Toyota bring back the spirit of AE86, but I want to see them making the car awesome so that they don't have to stop the production on the first run. What is wrong with boxer engine when everything inside is still Toyota?
If anything using Subaru for their Boxer engines was a step in the right direction. A compact sports car with a compact engine? Sounds good to me .

And a K20/F20 weighs closer to 250lbs vs a 3.5 liter aluminum v6 weighs over 300lbs not the same weight by far .
Old 01-26-2011, 06:14 PM   #10
[es vi: eks]

Drives: Subaru Legacy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
If anything using Subaru for their Boxer engines was a step in the right direction. A compact sports car with a compact engine? Sounds good to me .
I totally agree...

Also historicly Toyota used to use boxer twins in some of there cars.
Just like there little Sports 800. Read somewhere it was the first production sports car Toyota did????
It had a wee 790cc twin carb flat twin.

It will be a Subaru FB series engine with the Toyota/Yamaha heads
Heard the turbo one mite be a EJ but just will have to wait and see.
The FB is a lighter more compact engine compaired to the EJ series
Old 01-26-2011, 07:34 PM   #11
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Quote:
Originally Posted by [es vi: eks] View Post
I totally agree...

Also historicly Toyota used to use boxer twins in some of there cars.
Just like there little Sports 800. Read somewhere it was the first production sports car Toyota did????
It had a wee 790cc twin carb flat twin.

It will be a Subaru FB series engine with the Toyota/Yamaha heads
Heard the turbo one mite be a EJ but just will have to wait and see.
The FB is a lighter more compact engine compaired to the EJ series
Indeed it was and indeed it did.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:05 PM   #12
KLB

Drives: Stage III 2000 Audi S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calais View Post
HAHA!
Old 01-26-2011, 09:30 PM   #13
NESW20
2.1L 3SGTE

Drives: MR2 Turbo & Tacoma
shut up
2008 Civic Si Sedan
Old 01-26-2011, 09:54 PM   #14
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lajlijthoj View Post
And another thought of why Mr. Toyoda is great, but... could be God.

Closed Thread