follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > NY / NJ / CT / PA

NY / NJ / CT / PA NY, NJ, CT, PA

User Tag List

Old 10-24-2015, 08:52 PM   #1
02.ACCORD.DUDE
Car N00B

Drives: Honda Accord (2002)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Tr-State Winters?

I'm trying to order and have installed winter tires within the next week (damage to the side-wall on my summer tires, wanted to ideally wait a few weeks until the temperature dropped to put on winters but so much for that), but still can't decide on what tires to go with...

I was originally looking at the GOODYEAR ULTRA GRIP ICE WRT, but they seem to have gotten mixed reviews... So my question is simple, what winter tires have other tri-state drivers been using these past few years?

(I was originally going to create this in the tires section, but was hoping for some quick region specific feedback, as background I primarily do highway driving 100 miles to-and-from work, snow plowing has generally been great on the roads I travel - may change slightly now that my commute will take me to Short Hills)...

Thanks in advance!
02.ACCORD.DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 02.ACCORD.DUDE For This Useful Post:
fx35s (10-24-2015)
Old 10-24-2015, 10:14 PM   #2
fx35s

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02.ACCORD.DUDE View Post
I'm trying to order and have installed winter tires within the next week (damage to the side-wall on my summer tires, wanted to ideally wait a few weeks until the temperature dropped to put on winters but so much for that), but still can't decide on what tires to go with...

I was originally looking at the GOODYEAR ULTRA GRIP ICE WRT, but they seem to have gotten mixed reviews... So my question is simple, what winter tires have other tri-state drivers been using these past few years?

(I was originally going to create this in the tires section, but was hoping for some quick region specific feedback, as background I primarily do highway driving 100 miles to-and-from work, snow plowing has generally been great on the roads I travel - may change slightly now that my commute will take me to Short Hills)...

Thanks in advance!
I'm glad you're doing it right.
I bought Bridgestone Blizzak WS70s back in 2013 Winter and I think they now have WS80s. Blizzak also has LM series which is "sportier" version of WS series- meaning it will have a better driveability on dry roads when there aren't snow/ice on the ground. But when I buy winter tires I buy them for maximum grip on snow/ice and I'm willing to sacrifice some driveability for dry roads.

Michelin also has a good tires and I believe they were called ice-x 3 or something, you might want to take a look at that as well. But for shortest stopping distance/best grip in snow/ice- go for Blizzak WS series as they are hands down the best. Heard a lot of good things about Nokian tires but they're not worth the price over Bliazzak WS series.

You can order Blizzaks from Tire Rack and bring it to any Firestone shops and they will still honor the tires (Bridgestone bought Firestone a while ago) so they will mount tires to your stock wheels (unless if you're using a different set like steelies for winter tires) for the same price as if you got the tires from them. I think it was less than $100.. you might want to double check on that.

This will be my 3rd winter with Blizzak WS70s and I think this will also be the last winter with this set of tires. (I can probably pull another winter next year but I wouldn't risk my car with shallow treads )

Good luck! This was first time using winter tires and they make TONS of difference. I wonder how the car would drive if I had WRX or STI and winter tires. I bet it can climb the snowy mountains.
fx35s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:28 PM   #3
02.ACCORD.DUDE
Car N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx35s View Post
I'm glad you're doing it right.
I bought Bridgestone Blizzak WS70s back in 2013 Winter and I think they now have WS80s. Blizzak also has LM series which is "sportier" version of WS series- meaning it will have a better driveability on dry roads when there aren't snow/ice on the ground. But when I buy winter tires I buy them for maximum grip on snow/ice and I'm willing to sacrifice some driveability for dry roads.

Michelin also has a good tires and I believe they were called ice-x 3 or something, you might want to take a look at that as well. But for shortest stopping distance/best grip in snow/ice- go for Blizzak WS series as they are hands down the best. Heard a lot of good things about Nokian tires but they're not worth the price over Bliazzak WS series.

You can order Blizzaks from Tire Rack and bring it to any Firestone shops and they will still honor the tires (Bridgestone bought Firestone a while ago) so they will mount tires to your stock wheels (unless if you're using a different set like steelies for winter tires) for the same price as if you got the tires from them. I think it was less than $100.. you might want to double check on that.

This will be my 3rd winter with Blizzak WS70s and I think this will also be the last winter with this set of tires. (I can probably pull another winter next year but I wouldn't risk my car with shallow treads )

Good luck! This was first time using winter tires and they make TONS of difference. I wonder how the car would drive if I had WRX or STI and winter tires. I bet it can climb the snowy mountains.
What size tires did you go with? I was going to go with 16'' steelies.

I think the general consensus from what I've read is that Blizzak is the way to go (as long as you timely remove them to save the treads) - just not sure if it's worth the difference in price ($310 for the goodyears vs. $491 for the Blizzaks, if I wasn't buying another set of wheels this year I'd probably be more open to ponying up the extra $180 :- / )... But then again, if those are what most people in this area are using and they haven't been giving problems, I am (thankfully) in a position to open up the wallet right now...
The Following User Says Thank You to 02.ACCORD.DUDE For This Useful Post:
fx35s (10-25-2015)
Old 10-24-2015, 10:52 PM   #4
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
There's no wrong answer with any of the snow tires on tire rack right now. I have the X ice 3 and i quite like them. Performance snow tires? I don't really get it...
fx35s (10-25-2015)
Old 10-25-2015, 11:18 AM   #5
fx35s

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02.ACCORD.DUDE View Post
What size tires did you go with? I was going to go with 16'' steelies.

I think the general consensus from what I've read is that Blizzak is the way to go (as long as you timely remove them to save the treads) - just not sure if it's worth the difference in price ($310 for the goodyears vs. $491 for the Blizzaks, if I wasn't buying another set of wheels this year I'd probably be more open to ponying up the extra $180 :- / )... But then again, if those are what most people in this area are using and they haven't been giving problems, I am (thankfully) in a position to open up the wallet right now...
I went with 215/40/17 I believe, and I don't think WS80 came with that size anymore. For winter tires, narrower the better! I think I paid close to $600 or so for the winter tires by the way. I plan to put them on sometime next month before snow hits.. if you could get steelies that works, too. $700-800 with steelies on 16"? Sounds good
fx35s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 08:37 PM   #6
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I went with 205/50R-17 Continental Extreme Winter Contact XL last winter and I love them. I also do 112 miles a day, in and out of the city, so they get used hard and put away wet at least five days a week. I ran them from T-giving into late March and they should have at least that left in them for this winter.
Old 10-25-2015, 10:13 PM   #7
02.ACCORD.DUDE
Car N00B

I put my order in today, ended up going with the 205/55R-16 Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT.

With the steel rims it came out to $782 - but I should be getting a "rebate"* of $110 eventually...

*It's a Goodyear VISA so presumably you can only use the car at Goodyear, not entirely sure what I'd spend the $ on, most likely as an emergency fund I guess in case I get a flat / need a new rim, TPMS, etc.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:57 AM   #8
Jfheisenberg

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series Blue WRB
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
blizzak ws80 has great reviews on the web and on YouTube videos. I was thiking on performance winter tires at some point too but that would be waste of money if they are not going to preform like a real winter tire on winter snow conditions.

i bought the ws80 with wheels from tire rack winter package specials.
Jfheisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 12:07 PM   #9
Elkton86er

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited WRB AT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I bought Blizzak LM series performance winter tires last year and was very happy. In MD/DE we get a lot more cold(dry)/rain/wet than we do real ice and snow so I thought the dry performance was a better trade-off. In real bad conditions I either will stay in or will take my wife's SUV (since she won't be going out anyway)...
Old 10-26-2015, 12:15 PM   #10
SlammedSilly

Drives: 2015 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
i picked up a set of 05 forester wheels for my frs a few months back for $200... yea theyre 16's, but i look at it this way... why spend nearly $600-700 on snow tires every few years, when i can spend $480 every few years... the forester wheels are an investment. they are mint and i know i could get my money back on them all day. so think about going to 16's if you plan on keeping the car for a while! but i will most likely be picking up Blizzak ws80's or the michilin x-ice's. ive heard nothing but great things about both tires
SlammedSilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 04:32 PM   #11
UchihaFanBoy

Drives: 16 BRZ,99 Forester,13 FRS(RIP)
You can now drive winter tires with studs in NY not sure NJ...just letting you guys know
UchihaFanBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to UchihaFanBoy For This Useful Post:
02.ACCORD.DUDE (10-27-2015)
Old 10-27-2015, 09:07 AM   #12
Gear_One_Performance

Drives: 2014 BRZ SCCA STU endurance car
We're huge fans of the General Altimax Artic as a cost effective winter tire. I ran them on my wrx one year just to test them out over the Blizzaks and ended up liking them enough to put them on the other cars.
Gear_One_Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gear_One_Performance For This Useful Post:
GT86Dan (10-28-2015), ScoobsMcGee (10-27-2015)
Old 10-27-2015, 06:01 PM   #13
slim blanco

Drives: 2017 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
i used stock 17" size hankook ipike rs winter tires last year and have no complaints.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:06 AM   #14
SlammedSilly

Drives: 2015 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
NJ people scare me with how they drive...
SlammedSilly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SlammedSilly For This Useful Post:
02.ACCORD.DUDE (10-29-2015), WhiteFRS69 (10-30-2015)