follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 05-01-2014, 06:34 PM   #169
t.chk

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
Id be more worried about living in a world where people keep handguns in their cars
Haha, you do understand we are only talking about temporarily storing the gun off our person in order to comply with laws that limit where we can legally carry firearms? We don't actually keep guns in our cars because it is not a responsible place for them.

We are just looking for a spot we can put them where if someone breaks into our cars while we are talking to the court, getting our kids from school, that the criminal does not get a free gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
Glovebox is NOT for fast easy access when you are already facing an armed thug.

It's good for a quick hide when you're leaving your vehicle and you can't take it with you.

Best and most secure place (for hiding or NOT hiding) is on your person. Same for your phone (never had mine stolen... though I also don't leave it sitting in the car except on rare occasions when I forget).
Exactly, glovebox is for going into a bank, courthouse, school, etc (not over night).

If your permit is concealed carry then a center console mod for those who appendix or hip carry (so it is not a pain in the ass/groin to drive around). A shoulder rig would be better for in-car on person carry since you can still get to it while driving.

If open carry is permitted in car then you should have a rig right next to your knee where you can get a full grip on it quickly. My only issue with the between the seats is the lack of grip that you can get on the firearm makes it counter productive for me. A open carry shoulder rig would be a turn off since it would be on the side of your attacker...not enough control for my taste.
t.chk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to t.chk For This Useful Post:
SirBrass (05-01-2014)
Old 05-01-2014, 06:44 PM   #170
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I hate shoulder rigs. Very uncomfortable and they by their position have better leverage to slowly put pressure to throw my spine out of alignment. Much like carrying a backpack over one shoulder. It works, but it's not exactly something one wants to be doing for a long time. Just ask most cops who have had to carry in the shoulder for long periods. They almost universally hated it, even with the good, well-balanced rigs.

Thus I still carry on the hip, though it's not a great place for driving either (in any kind of seat that has good firm cushioning). Ankle carry is the fastest access I've see while one is belted and isn't shoulder carry.

I'd say for off-body carry in the car, the rig around the steering column is best. Problem is for those of us who like to drive close in to the wheel, that column is already interfering with the knees (that's what she said? ). Still, better than between center console and seat for same reasons.

Apendix is also fine, provided you have a tiny gun and it's OWB carry at a severe angle. Otherwise, you're going to be folded over your gun and that's NOT comfortable in any way, shape or form.

Also, any cross-draw method is very easy to counter with a bit of practice. Just trap the hand between you and their gun. They can't get it out, as their arm is then pinned to the body.

Just like with dress-wear carry (tuxes, certain cuts of suits, etc), car carry is a game of compromises.

I'll eventually get the steering column rig for when I go on long drives for the same reason I'll have a lumbar pillow until I can afford Recaro Sport Topline for the driver's side. It'll save my back. Otherwise, SOP will be to just carry as I always do anyway.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SirBrass For This Useful Post:
t.chk (05-01-2014)
Old 05-01-2014, 07:52 PM   #171
t.chk

Garage
Quote:
I hate shoulder rigs. Very uncomfortable and they by their position have better leverage to slowly put pressure to throw my spine out of alignment. Much like carrying a backpack over one shoulder. It works, but it's not exactly something one wants to be doing for a long time. Just ask most cops who have had to carry in the shoulder for long periods. They almost universally hated it, even with the good, well-balanced rigs.

Thus I still carry on the hip, though it's not a great place for driving either (in any kind of seat that has good firm cushioning). Ankle carry is the fastest access I've see while one is belted and isn't shoulder carry.

I'd say for off-body carry in the car, the rig around the steering column is best. Problem is for those of us who like to drive close in to the wheel, that column is already interfering with the knees (that's what she said? ). Still, better than between center console and seat for same reasons.

Apendix is also fine, provided you have a tiny gun and it's OWB carry at a severe angle. Otherwise, you're going to be folded over your gun and that's NOT comfortable in any way, shape or form.

Also, any cross-draw method is very easy to counter with a bit of practice. Just trap the hand between you and their gun. They can't get it out, as their arm is then pinned to the body.

Just like with dress-wear carry (tuxes, certain cuts of suits, etc), car carry is a game of compromises.

I'll eventually get the steering column rig for when I go on long drives for the same reason I'll have a lumbar pillow until I can afford Recaro Sport Topline for the driver's side. It'll save my back. Otherwise, SOP will be to just carry as I always do anyway.
Yea I have only had the shoulder rig for about a month. I think it is pretty comfortable after 3-4 hours of use while driving. More comfortable than the gun digging into my back. Never thought to try a crossdraw holster...it makes sense that it would fit better sitting down.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:24 PM   #172
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.chk View Post
Yea I have only had the shoulder rig for about a month. I think it is pretty comfortable after 3-4 hours of use while driving. More comfortable than the gun digging into my back. Never thought to try a crossdraw holster...it makes sense that it would fit better sitting down.
Hmm... maybe I'll have to revisit the shoulder holster, then, for cruising.

Galco is going to get more of my money again, all in the name of something else nice and leather: My BRZ's seats .

Oh well, it's helping the local economy, just like buying JDL headers did .

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
Old 05-01-2014, 09:15 PM   #173
t.chk

Garage
Quote:

Galco is going to get more of my money again, all in the name of something else nice and leather: My BRZ's seats .

Yea I have the Miami classic II for the car and motorcycle use, I didn't like the idea of snaps making it harder to get at the mags (like the miami classic). Here in NY if you show any holster you can get a lot of harass by the police for brandishing. So it works really good as a motorcycle carry system. Nice to know galco was your go too, good taste...like that header you picked out.

For regular carry I like the remora holster because I usually wear shirts and a t-shirt. but if I am traveling or riding shoulder rig is good as long as I dont have to do any lifting or anything.

Which apendix carry you use?
The Following User Says Thank You to t.chk For This Useful Post:
SirBrass (05-01-2014)
Old 05-01-2014, 10:18 PM   #174
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Garage
Oh most of my holsters are galco. For the 1911, they're the near exclusive (I do have a 1911 shell for my comptac mtac, but the mtac is primarily for my S&W M&Pc): I have an owb concealment holster from galco, an iwb vhawk, a cop ankle holster and pocket holster for my sig P938 that are also galco.

Galco is a Phoenix, AZ business, so that's another reason I like them: shipping even on the slowest, cheapest option means only about a day or so to go through the postal system to get to my door.

I also like Aker holsters. I have an open top OWB Aker holster for my M&Pc. It's a great little holster. I couldn't find one for a commander-slide 1911 at the local cop shop, so I went with galco for the owb as well (thus the concealment owb from them).

My belts, though, are comp-tac. I have a size 34 tapered belt with nickle buckle for IWB carry, and a size 32 tapered belt for OWB carry. They work great as casual belts with my jeans, and they look seamless with my suit slacks. They're double stitched and are kydex-reinforced. Been wearing both for several years now and no signs of them losing stiffness, except at the hole-punched areas (where the kydex reinforcement isn't).

I've found that my belts are more critical to the gun NOT straining my back than the holsters. The holsters aid in concealment, but the belt is the foundation for simple daily living with a firearm.

I can't apendix carry. Either the frame digs into my gut, or the muzzle shoves its way into my crotch, or the slide digs into my pelvic bone. NO BUENO. Some folks can do it, but I just can't. My on-waist carry methods are 4 o'clock IWB and OWB. Backup is either off-hand pocket carry or opposite ankle ankle carry. Spares for primary are carried opposite holster (balances weight load, too), and spare mag for backup fits perfectly into my jeans watch pocket.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
The Following User Says Thank You to SirBrass For This Useful Post:
t.chk (05-01-2014)
Old 05-02-2014, 03:40 AM   #175
Boxer486
Banned

Drives: small
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes you are right, sorry for expressing my opinion. I guess its just a bit shocking for many non US citizens. I will leave it be. Hope you never have to fear the wrong end of a gun, my friend.

I hope you don't either because obviously the only thing you'll be able to do about it is wait for someone to launch a missile.

Funny how people that think others are morons usually are the biggest ones.

Everyone throw away your knives and kung fu, the world has missiles! Guess what, we've had nukes for more than 70 years capable of wiping out the earth ten time over, yet more people have died from AK47s all over the world than by any other means. Ironically very few of these happened in the US.

It's amazing the level of incompetence that spouts forth when people with no tactical or strategic knowledge comment on tactics and strategy. Give someone a keyboard and biased news and they become an expert without any formal education or first hand knowledge of facts or analysis.

By your logic, Canada should just get disband its armed forces and bend over, Russia has more missiles than you do so why bother. Or are you guys scared of invading Eskimos? Durr....
Boxer486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:43 AM   #176
Boxer486
Banned

Drives: small
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.chk View Post
Haha, you do understand we are only talking about temporarily storing the gun off our person in order to comply with laws that limit where we can legally carry firearms? We don't actually keep guns in our cars because it is not a responsible place for them.

We are just looking for a spot we can put them where if someone breaks into our cars while we are talking to the court, getting our kids from school, that the criminal does not get a free gun.

No he doesn't understand that. He sees a picture of a gun and freaks out like an emotional child seeing a big hairy spider.
Boxer486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:15 AM   #177
RFB

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Shoulder Holster

Quote:

I carried a S+W in a shoulder rig, as well as a Browning High Power, for a short time only, because it caused arthritis in my right shoulder !
I then stayed with belt.

Shoulder rigs can be dangerous as you sweep the inside of your arm on the draw. Under stress there is a possibility of ( you know ) .

Thats why I.D.P.A. and others don't allow shoulder rigs even in duty rig class.
Only once was I successful in getting one of my trainees accepted in a competition with a shoulder rig, but it was a vest holster ( Cdn. army issue ) and pulling the left arm slightly back and angling the body on the firing line prevented sweeping and breaking 90.

Crossdraw for driving is tactically sound as the goblin usually approaches from the drivers side and your muzzle is already pointed in the correct direction requiring minimum time and effort to engage.

And - everyone !

As for the anti's - just ignore them, as they have no expertise in firearms and factual peer reviewed stats.
They post uninformed opinions that are formed by media and government misinformation or their own emotional inadequacies.

They are a cow looking at a train - NO COMPREHENSION - incapable of understanding.
Trying to get a cow to understand a train is a waste of time.

A lion can heed an ape's theories on how to pick fruit from a tree, but not an ape's theories on how to bring down a gazelle.

CERBERUS
RFB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RFB For This Useful Post:
codesplice (05-02-2014), DoomsdayJesus (05-07-2014), SirBrass (05-02-2014), woode (05-02-2014)
Old 05-02-2014, 07:13 AM   #178
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
For the record I love guns, shoot them regularly and generally love all gun owners in a non gay way lol.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:59 AM   #179
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,640 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer486 View Post
No he doesn't understand that. He sees a picture of a gun and freaks out like an emotional child seeing a big hairy spider.
Sorry that I share the opinion of almost all of the developed world aside from the US. Guns aren't made for creating anything good. I'm my ideal society they don't proliferate. Good luck Billybob, you got the power to kill. Stay out of my country with that crap.Preach elsewhere.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:21 AM   #180
djmm

Drives: toyota
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
When I put my bazooka on passenger seat it always trigger the seatbelt alarm...
By the way where can I hide my AK47?

djmm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djmm For This Useful Post:
Squishy86 (05-02-2014)
Old 05-02-2014, 11:33 AM   #181
Snowblind
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Quote:
Sorry that I share the opinion of almost all of the developed world aside from the US. Guns aren't made for creating anything good. I'm my ideal society they don't proliferate. Good luck Billybob, you got the power to kill. Stay out of my country with that crap.Preach elsewhere.
Canada is irrelevant and we don't care about you or your country's opinion.

Now go make us some maple syrup and drink your milk from a bag.
Snowblind is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snowblind For This Useful Post:
Squishy86 (05-02-2014)
Old 05-02-2014, 11:45 AM   #182
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowblind View Post
Canada is irrelevant and we don't care about you or your country's opinion.

Now go make us some maple syrup and drink your milk from a bag.
Yo for real though...milk...in a bag...wtf
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OrbitalEllipses For This Useful Post:
Squishy86 (05-02-2014)

Tags
'murica, bieber, fuckyeah, glove box, gun, handgun, holster