follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 09-26-2014, 04:29 PM   #113
86SPEED

Drives: The silvertrooper 10 series
Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofargone561 View Post
Oh well that makes sense i thought someone in here said they wouldnt fit.
Let me know how your little experiment works.
We have only had one set come through that we installed and from the looks it looked identical to the BRZ housing.. down to the OEM ballast mount and cut out.. i see no reason at all it wont bolt up.. i had a set of OEM FRS lights in a BRZ while i did his lights and it bolted on just fine. also swapped the FRS lens on the BRZ light as his had a crack in the lens..

-Thomas
86SPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86SPEED For This Useful Post:
sofargone561 (09-26-2014)
Old 10-04-2014, 10:40 PM   #114
gutbomb

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I installed a set of these and got my HIDs in easily, wired up the turn signal to the red wire on the front bumper turn signal, the boomerang to the green wire on the turn signal, and the black wires to the black wire on the turn signal. Everything works as expected, the turn signal works, the boomerang is on at the 2nd (drl) and 3rd (headlights on) as well as with the high beams on. Does anyone have any tips on where I can wire it so it's on even when the headlight setting is in it's default position?

I love the look of the boomerang when it's on alone but I can't have it on during the day because I have to set the headlight setting to at least one notch up, and doing that also dims my head unit screen and puts my navigation into night mode.
gutbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:04 AM   #115
PandaSPUR
PandaPandaPandaPandaPanda

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Hey sorry to bump this thread, but I was looking for more information/pictures regarding the light output of these headlights with the D2S bulbs.

The pictures from Matt on the previous page are broken, so I cant see what he posted.

Can anyone else comment on the output or post pictures?

One of my friends, a honda guy, was warning me against getting aftermarket headlights since they tend to have terrible output compared to OEM. He suggested I either retrofit the OEMs or retrofit the Spec-Ds (with something from The Retrofit Source). Just wondering if this is necessary.
PandaSPUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:43 AM   #116
2016 Camaro SS

Drives: Fast
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaSPUR View Post
Hey sorry to bump this thread, but I was looking for more information/pictures regarding the light output of these headlights with the D2S bulbs.

The pictures from Matt on the previous page are broken, so I cant see what he posted.

One of my friends, a honda guy, was warning me against getting aftermarket headlights since they tend to have terrible output compared to OEM. He suggested I either retrofit the OEMs or retrofit the Spec-Ds (with something from The Retrofit Source). Just wondering if this is necessary.
I would retrofit them as I plan to do that to my Spec D's. The projectors aren't the best at light output with the D2S bulbs but they do still give out a decent amount of light. It's just the OEM ones are still better with a plug and play kit.
2016 Camaro SS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2016 Camaro SS For This Useful Post:
PandaSPUR (12-29-2014)
Old 12-29-2014, 11:15 AM   #117
PandaSPUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016 Camaro SS View Post
I would retrofit them as I plan to do that to my Spec D's. The projectors aren't the best at light output with the D2S bulbs but they do still give out a decent amount of light. It's just the OEM ones are still better with a plug and play kit.
How do you plan to retrofit it? I know TRS has a kit for Spec-D headlights but I'm not sure if it fits well with these specifically. Let me know how it goes!

And how would you say the Spec-D with D2S bulbs compare to the stock halogens in the FRS OEM headlight?

As long as its as good or better than FRS OEM halogens, then I wont be in a rush to retrofit if I end up with these.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:57 AM   #118
2016 Camaro SS

Quote:
How do you plan to retrofit it? I know TRS has a kit for Spec-D headlights but I'm not sure if it fits well with these specifically. Let me know how it goes!

And how would you say the Spec-D with D2S bulbs compare to the stock halogens in the FRS OEM headlight?

As long as its as good or better than FRS OEM halogens, then I wont be in a rush to retrofit if I end up with these.
Yes, it's still better for sure. You can adjust them a bit, but the spread on the OEM projectors is just better. I've just learned to live with it because it's not really that bad. Still gives plenty of illumination and looks good. Retrofitting would be just for the OCD who want it to be a nice spread and line on a wall.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:45 PM   #119
PandaSPUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016 Camaro SS View Post
Yes, it's still better for sure. You can adjust them a bit, but the spread on the OEM projectors is just better. I've just learned to live with it because it's not really that bad. Still gives plenty of illumination and looks good. Retrofitting would be just for the OCD who want it to be a nice spread and line on a wall.
Sorry I'm a bit confused still.

So the brightness of the Spec D + D2S is better,
But the spread of the OEM is better than Spec D + D2S?
Old 12-29-2014, 01:47 PM   #120
2016 Camaro SS

Quote:
Sorry I'm a bit confused still.

So the brightness of the Spec D + D2S is better,
But the spread of the OEM is better than Spec D + D2S?
That's correct. Best way I would put it. D2S + Good Ballasts.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:44 PM   #121
86SPEED

Drives: The silvertrooper 10 series
Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quote:

The output from the stock Spec D is pretty bad.. Being that i do lighting, they would be horrible in the professional lighting world.. Even with the D2S bulbs they are not great, the best aftermarket lighting option as far as output so far is the Winjet with a HID kit, That's because the Winjet is using a knockoff HID projector. Im in the process of Retrofitting Winjet projectors in a set of Spec D's because they are so much better, and we have a lot of them setting in a bin from all the winjet retrofits to the Mini D2S projectors from TRS. Out put isnt even close to the same..

Bottom line is if your wanting your headlights to work instead of look good, then you'll need to retrofit them.

-Thomas
86SPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86SPEED For This Useful Post:
chanomatik (12-29-2014)
Old 12-30-2014, 12:35 AM   #122
PandaSPUR

I guess I'll wait for someone to retrofit the Spec-D headlights first before I go and try it. I have no experience with that and no idea about what to expect.

No sense in wasting money on a D2S bulb + ballast kit if I'm gonna end up replacing it with a retrofit kit from TRS for example.

Its also pretty disappointing to hear that the LED DRL strip isnt bright during daylight hours... kinda defeats the purpose. Anyone want to comment about how these compare to the Spyder headlights?

Maybe I'll end up importing the GT86 headlights.. sigh

EDIT: @fteightysix I see that on your site you do plan on selling these with a retrofit kit, after you test it out I assume. Would you sell it already retrofitted or is your plan to sell as headlight + kit separately?

Last edited by PandaSPUR; 12-30-2014 at 12:49 AM.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:03 AM   #123
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Drives: '91 MR2 Gen3 3SGTE, '13 FRS
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Subbed because these are the best aftermarket headlights for our car. I like the the turn signal all in one since the factory turn/fog piece is better suited to turn into a brake air duct.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:35 PM   #124
bigred18
MJLONIR Program Member

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Here's a picture of mine I put on around July '14.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/pictu...pictureid=8179

If you want to see more, check out my album:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1599
bigred18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:58 PM   #125
chanomatik
Snow Don't Hurt!

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT CBS
Thanked 1,497 Times in 902 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred18 View Post
Here's a picture of mine I put on around July '14.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/pictu...pictureid=8179

If you want to see more, check out my album:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1599
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:12 PM   #126
Stratoside

Drives: Firestorm red MT FR-S 2013
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
how reliable are they?
do they offer warranty?
i was thinking about getting the spec D black one with HID kit