follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 05-24-2018, 08:25 PM   #1
pcguru2000

Drives: toyota 86 2017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
covering the light sensor with electrical tape

I'd like to have the car behave during the day like it's night in terms of what lights light up around the car. I also like the auto shut off when the stalk is set to auto.

Anyone tried this? What's the downside?
pcguru2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:31 PM   #2
VIP BRZ

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The screen dims for nighttime, you wont be able to see at all in direct sunlight.
VIP BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VIP BRZ For This Useful Post:
pcguru2000 (05-25-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 09:23 PM   #3
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Personally it's ducking waste of time and effort.
You want you headlights to be on all the time in auto mode?
You can't take the ducking .04 seconds to turn on/what ever light you want?

If you want to dim the stereo or whatever you can do that by reading the manual.

And I say ducking with all love and respect
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:56 PM   #4
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,150 Times in 594 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
huh? let me get this straight, you want all the outside lights as in the low beams, DRLs, taillights & side markers always on, all the time? can't you just move the headlight stalk to the top selection?

HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 02:20 PM   #5
pcguru2000

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
huh? let me get this straight, you want all the outside lights as in the low beams, DRLs, taillights & side markers always on, all the time? can't you just move the headlight stalk to the top selection?

I also like the auto shut off when the stalk is set to auto. Not possible with the light in the selector in the headlight position.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:21 PM   #6
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,150 Times in 594 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcguru2000 View Post
I also like the auto shut off when the stalk is set to auto. Not possible with the light in the selector in the headlight position.
...1st world problem...
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 02:22 PM   #7
pcguru2000

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
Personally it's ducking waste of time and effort.
You want you headlights to be on all the time in auto mode?
You can't take the ducking .04 seconds to turn on/what ever light you want?

If you want to dim the stereo or whatever you can do that by reading the manual.

And I say ducking with all love and respect
I need the lights to auto shut off, that's why I can't use the top light selection.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:23 PM   #8
pcguru2000

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
...1st world problem...
Weird Al would agree with you
Old 05-25-2018, 03:22 PM   #9
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIP BRZ View Post
The screen dims for nighttime, you wont be able to see at all in direct sunlight.
So... change the screen settings? I always turn on my running lights during the day, which puts the head unit into "night mode." So I adjusted the settings on the head unit appropriately. As a result, I can have the scroll wheel for the dimmer set to full during the day, which fully illuminates all of the interior lights. At night I back it off one click which puts everything in night mode.

OP: It's totally possible. And you can readjust the interior lights appropriately, as I just mentioned, so that won't be an issue. HOWEVER, that sensor is also used by the HVAC system. When it is bright and sunny outside, it knows that the A/C needs to run harder as opposed to when it is dim and cloudy out. I don't know HOW MUCH of an effect it will have on the operation of the HVAC system, as it also has other ways of determining interior temperature and whatnot, but you will be cutting that one sensor out of the loop.

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 01:05 AM   #10
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,101 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
So... change the screen settings? I always turn on my running lights during the day, which puts the head unit into "night mode." So I adjusted the settings on the head unit appropriately. As a result, I can have the scroll wheel for the dimmer set to full during the day, which fully illuminates all of the interior lights. At night I back it off one click which puts everything in night mode.

OP: It's totally possible. And you can readjust the interior lights appropriately, as I just mentioned, so that won't be an issue. HOWEVER, that sensor is also used by the HVAC system. When it is bright and sunny outside, it knows that the A/C needs to run harder as opposed to when it is dim and cloudy out. I don't know HOW MUCH of an effect it will have on the operation of the HVAC system, as it also has other ways of determining interior temperature and whatnot, but you will be cutting that one sensor out of the loop.
Quote:
Weird Al would agree with you

I'm perusing the forums after alot of hiatus and found this thread.

You'd need carista or techstream, and an OBD2 Dongle with bluetooth or usb respectively and it's a simple option you adjust sensitivity wise. As it is in techstream a dealer that doesn't have clueless staff can find it in the techstream setting. I don't know why nobody else suggested this or even knew what it is.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
pcguru2000 (05-29-2018)
Old 05-28-2018, 01:13 AM   #11
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
You'd need carista or techstream, and an OBD2 Dongle with bluetooth or usb respectively and it's a simple option you adjust sensitivity wise. As it is in techstream a dealer that doesn't have clueless staff can find it in the techstream setting. I don't know why nobody else suggested this or even knew what it is.
You can only adjust it by +/- 40% sensitivity. I assumed this wouldn't be enough to have it turn the lights on in full sunlight during the day, but maybe it's enough? It's really meant as more of a fine-tuning thing than to completely change the functionality.

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stang70Fastback For This Useful Post:
pcguru2000 (05-29-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 12:45 PM   #12
pcguru2000

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
Quote:
You can only adjust it by +/- 40% sensitivity. I assumed this wouldn't be enough to have it turn the lights on in full sunlight during the day, but maybe it's enough? It's really meant as more of a fine-tuning thing than to completely change the functionality.
Thanks! I forgot about Carista. I used the free version to change the door lock to unlock all doors. :-). It's $40/year or $10/month to get all the other features. I might pay the $10 and see if that covers me for multiple cars. This would behave the same as putting tape on the sensor (for free) lol, so I might just experiment with the tape and see what it's like.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:18 AM   #13
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:

It's enough for OP I've used it in twilight and such early mornings and what not, and it comes on when it rains and the sky is "darker". If you get it to blaring sunlight it will not engage them though. I honestly wouldn't know why OP would want them on all the time, but this makes them much more sensitive.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
Old 05-30-2018, 02:19 AM   #14
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Thanks! I forgot about Carista. I used the free version to change the door lock to unlock all doors. :-). It's $40/year or $10/month to get all the other features. I might pay the $10 and see if that covers me for multiple cars. This would behave the same as putting tape on the sensor (for free) lol, so I might just experiment with the tape and see what it's like.
That's the best option, I don't know if there payment plans and such changed, but I had it way back when it was $20 for full functionality, I think once they got involved with TPMS related things they upped there prices